CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new

Thread: Found a cheap way to remove trigger over travel in my CW380

Default Found a cheap way to remove trigger over travel in my CW380

(attempt at your own risk) and I will try to be thorough but I don't post this type of thing much...

Originally I wanted to Place a small wide head pin with a knurled shaft in this location but I had no way to drill a straight hole due to the design of the frame.
    so I improvised with some .8 mm piano wire, a needle file and a precision watchmakers hand drill

Prior to doing this, try and find an object that you can place behind the trigger that is just big enough that it breaks but does not over travel. this will save you allot of time because you can file the trigger for adjustment without fully reassembling the gun over and over again.
    I ended up using the rod part of the cheap trigger lock that came with the gun. that was just large enough that the break point was .2 mm past the thickness of that rod on mine. so if the rod did not slide back behind the trigger I knew it would get a clean break when reassembled. each gun may break at a different point so this rod may not work for you or it could end up being perfect.

basically how I did it was drill two holes in the frame in front of the the right side of the trigger and installed my funky U shaped piece of piano wire.
    by drilling the holes angled the way shown in the crude sketch, it allows my bent wire piece to hold itself in place.
    and by having the top longer than the bottom it makes installation easier.
    you just get the top started and push down with the needle nose to get the bottom in and press it home.
    (you might have to make several trying to get the perfect fit, but luckily piano wire comes in 3ft length at the Hobby store.)

because of the angle needed to get clearance When drilling the holes you need to be careful not to go to far.
    if you keep going you will end up punching out through the side of the frame. also I hit no internal steel skeletal parts in this area, so if you don't mark the bit it will be easy to screw up.

I used a drill bit almost the exact thickness as the wire, about .8 mm (it doesn't require a thick wire)

here is a photo of the drilling angle i had to use to clear the bump from the offset feed ramp.

after the wire is in place you file the Flat stop on the right side of the trigger to the point where it will break.

so far it works very well, it is not spongy and it wont come out on its own during use.

If Kahr molded the frames with a Small hole in that location it would be really easy to pop in a Knurled shaft pin in and adjust the trigger.
    but Doubt that will happen though.

The CW380 was never intended to be a target pistol. It's a down and dirty last ditch defensive pistol, so there is no need to limit trigger over travel.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

I have drilled and tapped for a reset limit screw in a Ruger MK2 Target, but I will pass on doing anything but shooting the Kahr.

yea i know there is no need, but i couldn't leave it alone
    figured i would share just in case someone else liked to tinker and tune things that didn't really need it.

This required thought and precise work. I like that! While I won't do it for my P380 I respect the effort you took. I wish Kahr did it stock. While not actually needed I don't think anyone would not agree it is better. Dan

^^^Agree. Thanks for the post.

If I were to do it I'd simply drill and tap the trigger for a set screw. If I screwed up, I'd only have to replace the trigger and not the entire frame. It's not really something that needs to be done, but it's your gun and you're free to do anything that you want to it.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    If I were to do it I'd simply drill and tap the trigger for a set screw. If I screwed up, I'd only have to replace the trigger and not the entire frame. It's not really something that needs to be done, but it's your gun and you're free to do anything that you want to it.
    yea I thought about doing that also, but I didn't like the idea of eventually wearing a divot in frame at the back of the trigger guard.

Esco: good going. If folks like you didn't tinker, there would be fewer new mods on the market. Manufacturers don't always know, or provide, whats best.