Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Older-model K9 -- Differences / concerns?

Default Older-model K9 -- Differences / concerns?

New member and soon-to-be Kahr owner... Picking up a used K9, which the owner believes is an older model from sometime in the mid-late 1990's. I know gun models can undergo subtle tweaks over time. When it comes to shopping for holsters/accessories, are there any major "red flag" things that won't fit an older-model gun correctly? I'd hate to guy buy a shiny new holster only to find out the shape of the gun went and changed on me.

Still, I'm looking forward to it -- I read great things about the K9, and while this one is old, previous owner says he bought it with only a few hundred rounds through and rarely used it, so I'm excited to get my hands on what seems like a fantastic gun!

My K40 is from 1998. No issues with it whatsoever. There is a different dovetail for the sights. So be aware of that if you need to order any. I can say that my K40 is the only Kahr I own that has never ever suffered any kind of failure. It's my number one companion.

There were some carbon steel models very early on. Your K9 will also probably have a slightly heavier trigger than current Kahrs (what we call a NYPD trigger) unless it is an Elite model. Neither should cause you any concern.

I recommend you break it in like a new gun. It will give you and the gun a chance to mate up. Read the stickies. My stainless Kahrs like to run lightly lubed vs. the plastic frame guns that prefer to be shot "wet".

And flush the striker channel out with some non clorinated brake cleaner and run it dry. Use the clean out hole. Some prefer to disassemble the slide but it's not necessary IMHO.

Welcome!
    ​O|||||||O

Regarding your holster question, I don't think you'll have any issues there. They haven't changed that much, should be pretty easy to fit. Finding one that is comfortable and meets your personal preferences might be a challenge but that goes for any gun.

That's why we all have a drawer full of holster from the past. Great rigs that just didn't pan out.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    My K40 is from 1998. No issues with it whatsoever. There is a different dovetail for the sights. So be aware of that if you need to order any. I can say that my K40 is the only Kahr I own that has never ever suffered any kind of failure. It's my number one companion.

There were some carbon steel models very early on. Your K9 will also probably have a slightly heavier trigger than current Kahrs (what we call a NYPD trigger) unless it is an Elite model. Neither should cause you any concern.

I recommend you break it in like a new gun. It will give you and the gun a chance to mate up. Read the stickies. My stainless Kahrs like to run lightly lubed vs. the plastic frame guns that prefer to be shot "wet".

And flush the striker channel out with some non clorinated brake cleaner and run it dry. Use the clean out hole. Some prefer to disassemble the slide but it's not necessary IMHO.

Welcome!
    Good to know! Being an older gun that I'm not familiar with, I'll probably replace the recoil spring / guide rod and have the striker / mag springs replaced, as well, just to ensure things are up and running nice and smoothly. Picking up the gun this weekend and I have some extended vacation time over New Years, so I'm looking forward to breaking it in then.

My first Kahr, which I just purchased, is also an early gun and members here have indicated it is one of the carbon steel, early guns. The receipt in the box confirms that as it's dates 1997. I understand that Kahr debuted at the 1994 Shot Show and the all wise internet says the company started in 1995. That would make 1997 very early on in production. Obviously I don't know when the gun was actually manufactured, just when the original owner purchased it.

The serial number is AD15XX.

Below are 2 links concerning Kahr s/n history. I have a K9 from 1996 manufacture that has a carbon steel frame and black ss slide. It has proven super reliable and is one of my favorite firearms. The balance and way the K9 sits in your hand just seems to feel about perfect to me.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268364
    http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...rn-date-for-K9

Thanks for those links -- when I have the gun, I'll be interested to look up and see exactly where the gun dates from.

The deal has been done -- traded my LC380, and got ahold of this little beauty. Looks in great shape!

Any suggestions on taking it down, though? The slide is pretty heavy and trying to hold it in place while also attempting to wiggle out the pin is proving to be a huge pain...

You might have to hold it in place and tap it with a rubber hammer or use a screwdriver handle, dowel etc.

I often times can't pop my take down pin out without a helper tool.

You may struggle a bit at first but it will become perfectly natural after a few times. I just put my left thumb under the trigger guard, gun pointing left, fingers over top of slide and I can fairly easily hold the slide in the right position while I give that pin a little tap.

Let us know if you continue to struggle, lots of help around here.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Well, my hands hurt like a son of a, but I got it taken down.. And immediately spent the 5 bucks on Kahr's website to order the takedown block, because I'll shred my hands apart if I ever have to try this again >.> Going to give it a basic cleaning / lubing, and hopefully take it to the range next week on my vacation time.