Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Took the K9 to the range....

Default Took the K9 to the range....

It happens to be my birthday and Thor was smiling today so the weather here in Vermont had turned off warmer than usual, a balmy 40+ degrees. So, I decided I would go to the range. I haven't been in a while due to weather and I had a couple of new acquisitions begging for some attention and testing. The other gun was a SIG Pro 2340 (predecessor to the SP2022) in .357sig and then a couple of old friends, a P229 Stainless in .40S&W and a P227 which is in .45ACP.

Let me say first, what a joy to shoot that Kahr! I tend toward calibers other than 9mm, .357sig, .40S&W, 10mm, .45ACP, but I do have a couple of 9mm handguns. This gun really felt good in my hand, the recoil was next to nothing and at 7 to 10 yards, when I paid attention, I could put three to five shots in a quarter size group or less.

What a pleasure to have that gun which feels so good in my hand and fits so well, a gun that is just the right size for a compact pistol as far as I'm concerned, to have it shoot so well.

I ran 100 rounds through the gun, 50 were 115gr and 50 were 124gr, all commercial ammunition. I had three stovepipes out of 100 rounds. I'm inclined to think that while limp wristing is not usually an issue for me, this might have been the cause given the size of the gun. The recoil encourage me get loose I think. So, I'm not thinking it had anything to do with the gun itself or the magazine.

So, I'm a happy camper and on the way to becoming a Kahr fan. I'm already looking around for another, perhaps a T9.

One question I have. The rear site has a hole in the top of the site which I did not notice before. I'm thinking that is a locking screw and not a screw that worked it's way loose or is missing, nor something that had an insert that is missing. The gun came that way, it's not something that happened at the range, I just didn't notice it before today.

Congratulations and Happy Birthday. Glad you are now a Kahr fan. They are great pistols. I am awaiting a K9 that I recently ordered on line. Is this what your sight looks like?

http://www.kahr.com/Sights/Kahr-Nova...-White-Dot.asp

It looks like this. The gun was manufactured in November of 1995, so it's very early. You can see the hole in the top of the sight. While the sights are different, the hole in the top of the sight you referenced is the same.

Looks like a locking screw to me, probably an allen head. Just helps keep the rear sight in place. They generally are a very good thing to see cause it means you just might be able to get that sight out if you ever wanna swap, although I like that style of sight myself.

Good luck on the T9, I've only seen one in person but it was an absolute gem. I want one myself. Maybe even a T40. A T 45 of course would make me cry but that's still on the dream drawing board.

Glad you had a good range visit. Like to hear about those for a change.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

So, that is what I was thinking as well, an allen screw. I didn't notice it until I was at the range and was initially concerned a screw had come out, but the sights are tight.

I've heard how difficult it is to change the sights on the Kahr K9. Is this only for the later guns, or does that also apply to this early version. I could send it to Kahr, but there is a gunsmith near by who could do it as long as it doesn't take any special equipment or tools beyond those for other pistols.