Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fear of pulling the Trigger and buying a CW390/P380 Advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by mainenwo View Post
    if you had the chance to buy this gun again would you?
    NO....

Love the feel, sights and trigger but it is the most finicky gun I've ever owned... some have great success with them even people that handload for it like I do, but myself I fall into the camp of bad apples, I've tweaked it and it runs okay but I will never carry it and when its time to sell another gun in the stable it will be the first to go....

get a CM9 !!! not much bigger (honestly) and 9mm is much cheaper to shoot and obviously better ballistics and more controlled follow up shots.... with minimal if any bobbles, my PM9 has been flawless with my handloads and has 1200 rounds through it...

good luck

EDIT: I seen in your next post you were now considering three with the LCP being one, if it were me that's what I would buy... I've had one for years and it has 2700 rounds through it with no problems, it has fed the cheapest of cheap factory ammo flawlessly.... I finally managed to chew up the recoil rod and Ruger sent me a new one free!!!! even though I was willing to buy it...... great CS

I just bought a CW380. I have had no issues with FMJ, but my father had 1 FTF in the first hundred. Then I shot some Fiocchi JHP's. . . The FTF's were all where it goes under the extractor. I believe that they were from not holding on tight enough. . . .The grip is hard to hold onto. When I changed my dad's grip, the restt of the fmj's went without a hitch. When I had my one with the jhp's, I too focused on my gripand didn't have another.

I'm thinking that these ftf's will go away. If not, it will go back to Kahr.

Honestly, the gun is really tight now. Oil and working the slide helped some, but I probably need to just shoot another 100 fmj's through it. On a more positive note, it is an extremely shootable pocket pistol. I was able to put 6 shots into a pie plate at 5 yds with .35 s between shots. I was also able to shoot 6 shots touching each other at the distance.

Not bad. At 10 and 15yds, it wasn't off the plate either. This is ridiculous for such a small gun!

Great Info guys thank you so much... so far im considering 3 choices the Khar CW380 the Diamond Back DB380 Gen 2, and the Ruger LCP Gen 2
    Time for an update. Have you made a decision, yet? Has this thread influenced you in any way? Lots of good info here.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

I would buy another in a minute. Everyone has different experiences with different guns..and different expectations. Haven't had any issues with this gun (CW 380) and I am extremely pleased with the accuracy.

Also I don't go out of my way to recommend much or to shill for any one make or model. I will tell you what works, or doesn't work, for me and let it go at that. My Kahrs have been pretty near perfect...can't speak for anyone else.

Good luck and good shootin.
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr CW380
    Ruger SR22
    Taurus PT 111 Millennium G2

I too would steer clear of the Diamondback. I had a DB9 for awhile and it was one of the worst guns for me that I ever owned. I never got it to fire more that 2 or 3 shots before it jammed. I don't think they build their frames strong enough and they flex too much when fired, causing feeding problems. A lot of it was caused by my small hands. I noticed it ran much better for people with larger paws. What they call customer service is poor at best. Their advice was to sell the gun. So I traded it to a guy with big hands. I told him about my troubles with it, and told him I'd give him a refund if it didn't work for him, but never heard back.
    I had a range officer who was able to shoot a full mag with no problems work with me to try and shoot a full mag, and the only way I could get close to that was to put a death grip on it with both hands, holding it in a certain way. That is not the type of weapon I want to CC, or even own.

I have noticed over the last couple of years, that the number of complaints in the forum on the Kahr .380's are way down. Before that, it seemed that at least every 2 days, there would be a new trouble report on the P380, (this was before the CW380 came out). I think maybe Kahr tweaked the design a little making it more reliable, or I don't think they would have introduced the CW380. I don't know, that is just my best guess.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

I would buy a P380 again, for sure. I had a nice loooong break in period before complete reliability (about 400-500 rounds) but never had to send it back to Kahr. The issues I had were all failure to feed or eject properly. Once I had worked through those kinks, I haven't had the first problem with it. For some, that break-in period is too long. But like a fine whiskey or wine, sometimes a slow aging process does wonderful things. And in this category, I don't think you can find a smoother trigger, or better sights on a tiny pistol. My Kel-Tec P3AT has been a safe queen ever since purchasing my P380, because of the trigger and sights. (The Kel-Tec was insanely reliable, but it hurt to shoot more than 25 rounds at a time.) Hopefully you find what you're looking for!

My first one was unreliable even after lots of work and 500 rounds through it. My second one also took some work but its at about 200 rounds now and its running well and is trustworthy. I recommend you also consider a micro desert eagle in addition to the cw380. They are quality pieces and mine is stone reliable, accurate, and easy to carry.

I really love the look size and quality of these two 380 models but I've heard so many complaints
    about Stove pipes, failures to feed, failures to eject, and on and on... I'm on a budget and I can't afford to spend so much money on a gun for it to end up being
    a paperweight or spending so much money on 380 Ammo just to find out the gun is just not going to work.

Advice needed

I guess my question is to you guys and gals who have these guns is ...if you had the chance to buy this gun again would you?
    Yes, I would buy my CW380 again in a heartbeat, no question.

I went for this gun mainly because it locks the slide back on the last round (some other small 380's don't do that, I think it's useful). Also, I think the design makes it have a better (read: less snappy) recoil than other small 380's. Something to do with not being a blowback or whatever, I'm not certain of the details. But you'll read a lot about small 380's being "snappy", and the CW380 is not snappy at all (in my opinion). In fact, I was surprised at how smooth it felt, especially after firing my Springfield XD-S 9mm. I love the smooth trigger action on the Kahr.

I have had a few issues with certain ammo in the CW380, mostly stuff like the slide remaining locked back after firing the first round from a full magazine. But, this seems to be pretty clearly related to certain types of ammunition. The type that I actually carry in the gun (e.g. Hornady Critical Defense or Precision One XTP) has been pretty much flawless, I think. I've been to the range with this gun a few times now, and it has had a good few hundred rounds fired. I haven't been keeping count, to be honest.

I love that it is so easy to conceal for carry. I really like the way it fires. As long as you clean it, lube it properly, and take care to try out ammo at the range to see what works and what doesn't, then you should be fine.

Finally, not to cast doubt on anyone's negative experiences, but remember that people are more likely to be motivated to post on forums about problems, than if everything just worked as expected. When your experience sucks, then you are going to want to tell the world about it. When things are just working as they should, then you might not be motivated to go online and say that. Remember that there are most likely many thousands of satisfied users out there, who just don't feel all that motivated to post about it. Don't assume that just because you read about some issues online, that is what everyone is experiencing. Yes, it can indicate a trend in some cases. In the case of the CW380, I think the takeaway (as far as I can tell) is that this gun has issues with some types of ammo, you just have to try it to see what works. Don't buy a huge amount of any particular ammo until you know whether your particular gun likes it or not. As it stands, I made this mistake and now have three boxes of Independence FMJ which my CW380 apparently doesn't like much. Oh well. Even so, I'm happy enough with the way the gun works with the real self defense ammo that I'm sticking with it. I really like this little gun, it's what I have with me most of the time every single day, even in my home, because it's just so darned easy to carry everywhere you go.

Ftf in my P380 is always b/c of limp wristing. Once I got that under control, no probs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pr42 View Post
    Yes, I would buy my CW380 again in a heartbeat, no question.

I went for this gun mainly because it locks the slide back on the last round (some other small 380's don't do that, I think it's useful). Also, I think the design makes it have a better (read: less snappy) recoil than other small 380's. Something to do with not being a blowback or whatever, I'm not certain of the details. But you'll read a lot about small 380's being "snappy", and the CW380 is not snappy at all (in my opinion). In fact, I was surprised at how smooth it felt, especially after firing my Springfield XD-S 9mm. I love the smooth trigger action on the Kahr.

I have had a few issues with certain ammo in the CW380, mostly stuff like the slide remaining locked back after firing the first round from a full magazine. But, this seems to be pretty clearly related to certain types of ammunition. The type that I actually carry in the gun (e.g. Hornady Critical Defense or Precision One XTP) has been pretty much flawless, I think. I've been to the range with this gun a few times now, and it has had a good few hundred rounds fired. I haven't been keeping count, to be honest.

I love that it is so easy to conceal for carry. I really like the way it fires. As long as you clean it, lube it properly, and take care to try out ammo at the range to see what works and what doesn't, then you should be fine.

Finally, not to cast doubt on anyone's negative experiences, but remember that people are more likely to be motivated to post on forums about problems, than if everything just worked as expected. When your experience sucks, then you are going to want to tell the world about it. When things are just working as they should, then you might not be motivated to go online and say that. Remember that there are most likely many thousands of satisfied users out there, who just don't feel all that motivated to post about it. Don't assume that just because you read about some issues online, that is what everyone is experiencing. Yes, it can indicate a trend in some cases. In the case of the CW380, I think the takeaway (as far as I can tell) is that this gun has issues with some types of ammo, you just have to try it to see what works. Don't buy a huge amount of any particular ammo until you know whether your particular gun likes it or not. As it stands, I made this mistake and now have three boxes of Independence FMJ which my CW380 apparently doesn't like much. Oh well. Even so, I'm happy enough with the way the gun works with the real self defense ammo that I'm sticking with it. I really like this little gun, it's what I have with me most of the time every single day, even in my home, because it's just so darned easy to carry everywhere you go.

Nice post and sound advice. I really like the way these little guns carry and shoot. They are definitely finicky and take some time to find the right ammo and/or get running right.