Xssights   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I am SO glad I read this forum before buying a PM9193

Thanks for the range report. Good to hear how successful it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Nytcrawler93 View Post
    I was also shooting way faster than I normally would just to finish the boxes of ammo.
    I did that too when I bought my first Kahr. My objective for the first range trip was to put 200 rounds through the gun, to complete the break-in.

In retrospect, that was kind of silly. I would have been far better off to slow down the pace and make every shot count. My goal should have been to master the technique of shooting the tiny sub-compact, rather than slinging lead downrange like I was on a quest to cross-off a chore on my honey-do list. I won't make that mistake anymore. Every shot is a training opportunity.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

Agreed. Slower practice is more productive. Man, those talons have some pop in that little gun too. I was strictly proving reliability today. Had some old ammo to burn and wanted to make sure I trusted it to carry. I am glad I got the enhanced as well because the trigger is pretty nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nytcrawler93 View Post
    New Kahr owner here but plenty of firearms experience. I bought a PM9, model PM9193. If I had not read about these before buying, it would have gotten returned immediately. It looked great, came with 3 mags and was impressive to look at. When I racked the slide though, it felt gritty and had what I would call hitches in the action. This normally would have alarmed me to the point of rejecting the sale. After reading others accounts of buying one I decided to give it a try even with the grit. When I got home, I racked the slide around a 100 times and then disassembled to get the grease out of the gun. It was SUPER tight to disassemble. I cleaned it thoroughly and dry lubed, greased, and oiled only in the recommended areas. After working the slide about 100 more times, it smoothed out. It REALLY smoothed out and the trigger felt like it was about 1/3 the travel of the P9 I tried right next to it (I am assuming that is due to the enhanced trigger). I will get it to the range this week with a full report and take some pics. Still not sure how I feel about the sights and the safety. I am used to Novaks and a 1911 sweep DOWN to disengage safety. I love the trigger pull and plan to try 200 rounds of NATO spec 9mm and two mags of Black Talons to break it in. I also want to try some police Sellier and Bellot which people claim have hard primers. The Black Talon ammo is old and the plating is getting nasty so I will shoot it up. So, thank you all for having an insightful forum which kept me from judging this pistol prematurely.
    The PM9193 sure is under appreciated. I have one and I love the shorter length of pull of the trigger. Mine has been very, very reliable though not 100%.

Wait, shorter trigger pull...?
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Wait, shorter trigger pull...?
    Yes. This model has an external safety. So, it relies less on a loooong double action pull for safety. Standard Kahrs have a 3/8" trigger pull. The enhanced trigger on this model has a 1/4" pull.

As far as I know, the enhanced trigger is only available on models with an external safety.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

Thanks, I always thought the safety was just an option and the rest was the same.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

I love the trigger pull. Compared to the P9 in the shop, it was night and day.

Took back to the range today and learned a few things. Got night sights installed and wanted to test POA. If I take my time and mind my mechanics, a 5-6 shot group can be had under 2 inches at 21 ft. When I got careless, the first shot would land within an inch of where I wanted and then they would open up quite a bit. I think this is due to my personal issues trying to shoot guns that are this thin and small sight radius. Here is the condition of the PM9 after roughly 200 more rounds shot bringing the total to around 425-450 rounds with no failures AFTER the initial round is chambered. More on that later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the rest of the story from the range. 150 rounds WWB 115grain. 50 rounds Sellier and Bellot. No fails that I can contribute to the gun. I had one instance where the second round did not release the striker only to find out the mag was not seated. I think this was me. The gun is WAY more accurate than I am. Like I said before, a proficient shooter can cover a 4-5 shot group with a thumb at 21 ft and I did that a couple times today. Problem is, I can't do it mag after mag. Overall, I can easily keep a pie plate at 21ft. When Kahr says to carry with one in the pipe, do it. Mine is 100% reliable with one in the pipe. The only reliability type thing I have ran across is sometimes the round will nose dive on the 7 rounder when putting the first round in. It would load if I slapped the bottom of the mag. When I got home, I disassembled the mag and found a LOT of gunk in the mag and on the follower. I cleaned it and manually cycled 5 mag loads through. Problem disappeared. I highly recommend anyone with over 400 rounds to disassemble the mags and do the same thing. I like the new night sights and on the first 9 mags I noticed a huge difference in my shooting. Towards the end, I only noticed the front sight. Hopefully, these posts will help someone trying to decide on a Kahr or someone who has minor issues and needs help figuring it out. So, to summarize, 1. Highly accurate. 2. Keep one in the pipe. 3. Keep mags clean. 4. Make sure mags are seated.