Crimsontrace   Xssights   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolff Replacement Recoil Spring

Default Wolff Replacement Recoil Spring

I'm looking to swap out the lighter (18 lb) Wolff recoil spring some on here have talked about in my CW9. My wife has a hard time racking the slide and I'd like to loosen it up. Problem is, the Wolff website only lists the spring for the K9. It looks like its the same assembly as the P9 and CW9, does anybody have a definite answer on if this is the same spring? Or have they stopped selling the reduced power springs for the CW9?
    Secondly, if I can swap it for this spring...any positive/negative feedback on it?

The only reason that I'd switch to a lighter recoil spring is if I intended to shoot lighter loads on a consistent basis. Switching to a lighter spring could cause function problems. If you teach your wife the proper method of racking the slide she should grow accustom to it over time.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Thanks Muggsy, I generally prefer to leave everything stock (from my cars to my kahrs), as I believe the manufacturer probably knew what they were doing when they designed it that way. I'll keep trying to get the wife to practice. She's a small gal and can just barely get that slide back, but she'll get it with practice.

At the range a pair of shooting glove might help. Even a golf glove on her left hand is better than nothing. Racking the slide on a CM9 is also a great breast enhancement exercise.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by tom.p View Post
    I'm looking to swap out the lighter (18 lb) Wolff recoil spring some on here have talked about in my CW9. My wife has a hard time racking the slide and I'd like to loosen it up. Problem is, the Wolff website only lists the spring for the K9. It looks like its the same assembly as the P9 and CW9, does anybody have a definite answer on if this is the same spring? Or have they stopped selling the reduced power springs for the CW9?
    Secondly, if I can swap it for this spring...any positive/negative feedback on it?
    they have stopped selling the reduced reco8il spring. I understand ur concern for the little lady, and IMO, if u buy the P9 outter spring and count coils and cut the excess u will be OK, U can go to the 18# spring and not harm anything IMO. Kahr used to offer a ladies PM9 with a 16# reoil spring, instead of the facxtory 183 spring, so IMO it is OK to do so. If it helps ur wife then it is a plus, kbut if it does not then bo back to factory setting. TWO pounds plus or minus is certainly not gonna harm the gun. IMO I seriously doubt if ur wife is gonna be able to rack the slide any better with 2# less on the recoil spinrg, certainly at the beginning but mayb e after a few hundred rounds that spring will even be lighter and she might just be able to do it. IMO if a woman cannot hand rack a kahr, then that gun is not for her, she has to be able to unload and clear the gun, anyone can just pull the trigger. IMO kashrs are not the best gunb for a woman, most of them anyway. We tend to buy our lady's what we think is best only to find out that it isn't and then u have a safe queen, for if a woman is not confident in usage of the weapon and that entails proper safe loading and unloading, THAT GUN WILL SIT AT HOM\E. So for me if I truly wanbted my lady to be alble to operate a cw9, then I would try damn near anything to make her comfortable with it and confident with it. Letsw face it she is not gonna put 200 rounds down range at one sitting. Just sayin. A wheel gun IMO is still the best gun for a lady to master, hittingt sumpin with a wheelgun is not as easy as with a semi but again NO FOKKIN BAD GUN WANT STO MESS WITH A WOMAN WITH A GUN..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    The only reason that I'd switch to a lighter recoil spring is if I intended to shoot lighter loads on a consistent basis. Switching to a lighter spring could cause function problems. If you teach your wife the proper method of racking the slide she should grow accustom to it over time.
    I kinda disagree on that, u can teach a woman to a certain extent, but most cannot racvk a kahr. It is what it is. Now one could try a lighter recoil spring and if she adapts to it just let her get use dto it for awhile and then switch her back to the factory spring but IMO this is really not needed. Muggsy I have heard ur wife say that u cannot even crack an egg without getting eggshells in the skillet, ..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I can understand your wife's dilemma; its tough for me to rack my CW380. At 80, I don't have the strength in my hands like I used to, but I still have to open jar lids for my wife.
    No way she could ever handle a short Kahr.
    CT380,CW9, P45, Colt 1991A1, 1911A1 Rem-Rand, Sig GSR 45acp, Sig Ultra 45acp,Colt New Agent 9mm, German Makarov 9X18, M1 Carbines, Walther P22, Remington Nylon 66, North Amer 22, Ruger LCR 38cal, S&W Victory 38spl, S&W M15 38, Remington 870 Police 12ga.

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    they have stopped selling the reduced reco8il spring. I understand ur concern for the little lady, and IMO, if u buy the P9 outter spring and count coils and cut the excess u will be OK, U can go to the 18# spring and not harm anything IMO. Kahr used to offer a ladies PM9 with a 16# reoil spring, instead of the facxtory 183 spring, so IMO it is OK to do so. If it helps ur wife then it is a plus, kbut if it does not then bo back to factory setting. TWO pounds plus or minus is certainly not gonna harm the gun. IMO I seriously doubt if ur wife is gonna be able to rack the slide any better with 2# less on the recoil spinrg, certainly at the beginning but mayb e after a few hundred rounds that spring will even be lighter and she might just be able to do it. IMO if a woman cannot hand rack a kahr, then that gun is not for her, she has to be able to unload and clear the gun, anyone can just pull the trigger. IMO kashrs are not the best gunb for a woman, most of them anyway. We tend to buy our lady's what we think is best only to find out that it isn't and then u have a safe queen, for if a woman is not confident in usage of the weapon and that entails proper safe loading and unloading, THAT GUN WILL SIT AT HOM\E. So for me if I truly wanbted my lady to be alble to operate a cw9, then I would try damn near anything to make her comfortable with it and confident with it. Letsw face it she is not gonna put 200 rounds down range at one sitting. Just sayin. A wheel gun IMO is still the best gun for a lady to master, hittingt sumpin with a wheelgun is not as easy as with a semi but again NO FOKKIN BAD GUN WANT STO MESS WITH A WOMAN WITH A GUN..
    While I agree with most of what was written here it couldn't have come from the Jocko that I know. Far too few misspelled words. I suspect an impostor wrote it. Jocko is in no position to have turned over a new leaf.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    I kinda disagree on that, u can teach a woman to a certain extent, but most cannot racvk a kahr. It is what it is. Now one could try a lighter recoil spring and if she adapts to it just let her get use dto it for awhile and then switch her back to the factory spring but IMO this is really not needed. Muggsy I have heard ur wife say that u cannot even crack an egg without getting eggshells in the skillet, ..
    My sister who stands 5"3" and weighs 112 pounds soaking wet can rack my CM9 and she can probably whip yer tired behind, too, you old fart. You should see what all that exercise has done for her rack.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

I guess I'll just have to keep buying guns until I find something she's comfortable with......too bad....