Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: serbu has landed!

Default Winchester 1887 10 gauge

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I have one of those shotguns in 10ga.
    The Terminator used a 10 gauge too old friend - LOL!

[QUOTE=gb6491;328668]I tried that search engine and got this for PM9

"I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way."

I was inspired by your effort to try again..but this time I only could come up with this
    "If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

[edit] sorry for the bad image post... the Col. got it, but it was from my phone while at the dentist office... FIXED!

Serbu update: The barrel nut was TIGHT. I mean no man I let try it, including myself, was able to get it undone. A wrap of leather and gentle but firm employment of "Mr. Channellock" got it undone. There was no thread locker on it, it was just a tight motherf'er.

Ok, a few interesting things. It was easy to see how the Remington 870 was shortened. Almost certainly, the original magazine was cut as close to flush with the receiver as possible. They must have a nice bit made up to mill/ream the stub of the soldered in magazine out of the receiver. Old tube cut to length, and soldered back in. It is the old tube, not a newly mfg one. The other thing I noticed was that the original barrel lug was utilized. It has the little captured detent ball still in it, and pointed in the right direction. They must cut the old one off, and I imagine they have a jig.. perhaps an adjustable jig, to recut a radius on the old lug to match it to the larger radius of the barrel closer to the receiver, where its welded into place. The old action bars aparantly cut and rewelded to the original slider with modified ring to accept the Serbu made folding foregrip. And finally, and I'm not sure why, there is a Serbu made cap on the magazine tube, and it has no detents for that ball to fit into. Held by friction only. I am guessing that the orginal Remington cap could possibly be used. Lettering on the barrel, cut in mid enscription. No attempt to erase any of that (not hard to do, its shallow). The original Remington serial number was used, no new Serbu number was given, except... perhaps the letter on the end as a suffix.

All the welds, soldering, fit, finish.... perfect. Zero complaints with anything really.

The foregrip is very slick. STRONG spring action holds it in place. The storage position features shallow slots, while the extended position features deep slots. I didn't take it apart, but... I'd not be surprised if the inner surface is a cam, to increase spring tension when extended. The foregrip is notably easy and quick to deploy, yet rock solid and hard to fold once extended. Good design.

The Fed's did screw up my stamp. They literally forgot a digit in the middle of the serial number! But the paperwork is correct otherwise. You can ask for a duplicate, and it comes with no stamp (only one stamp is issued, ever), so the stamp itself is more of a receipt of the five bucks paid, and the form (and its signed approval and numbers and such) are the verification, if ever needed.

So thats that. It will need a new grip. The shape of the OEM grip from Remington is terrible, and its hollow so I can't easily reshape it. It needs about 3/8 inch taken off the swell in back, to make ok for the web section to fit an actual human hand. It was designed by a gorilla in a grey suit.
    Last edited by CJB; 01-04-2015 at 10:29 AM.

That's sweet, I believe I could find a nice spot to hang that on the chair pretty easy.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Don't think you're gonna win any turkey shoots with that, but it should be a real crowd pleaser. How long was the process of getting the stamp and what is the price difference between the Rem and the Mossberg model?

Wait was almost four months - to the day. One day short of four months.

Price difference is almost nil. Maybe $35-$50 at most.

Pattern would do ok on turkey shoot. Short barrel doesnt mean wide pattern

I saw a picture of this gun with a magazine stuck in it. didn't look like room to pump the handle. there is a company that makes a conversion for tube to mag. I'm not buying one so didn't go further with research. my pistol grip experiment was enough for me, went back to the wood stock. good luck. (ya gotta pull that thing out at the skeet range, maybe next April 1.)

The mag fed you see on the net is a Russian Baikal conversion. A company in Louisiana did those, only made very few. Looks like a Serbu. It isnt. AFAIK there is no 870 mag feed conversion, or Serbu would be offering it.

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKROCKER View Post
    Don't think you're gonna win any turkey shoots with that, but it should be a real crowd pleaser. How long was the process of getting the stamp and what is the price difference between the Rem and the Mossberg model?
    Oh I don't know, I took my little coach gun side by side and got my first two birds shooting trap doubles with one barrel each from the hip.
    My kid nearly fainted, I nearly fainted too.
    Ok it was just blind hog luck and I'm sure the feat could never be duplicated but never say never ya know!
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

After doing that, you just clear the chambers, sneer like Lucas McCain, and calmly go about your business, like it was usual fare.

Hey one time, I was asked to shoot a really pesky crow. All I had was one of my Garands. I was in a tree mounted hammock, took the Garand, and while folks was sayin "Don't shoot the bird feeder!" I nailed that crow and it flew off about 20 yards. They said I missed cuz it flew off. We went to where it appeaered to drop... and it was dead alright. No head. Clean off. No fanfare..... I acted like I meant to do that.