Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whoops shot Ballistol into firing pin

Default Whoops shot Ballistol into firing pin

Accidentally grabbed Ballistol instead of compressed air and sprayed a small amount into the firing pin of P380 while cleaning.

Should I remove the firing pin and wipe it down or will it be OK as is?

Thanks!

If it is a carry gun you should clean it out, lest it leak onto your primers. Otherwise just let it go. No harm will come. it will eventually be blasted out by shooting, until your next detailed cleaning.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Ballistol is not regular oil, it's made from mineral oil. It evaporates fairly quickly.
    Draw me not without provocation, sheath me not without honor.

Shoot some brake cleaner into the clean out hole and work the striker back and forth and you should be ok. That will clean it out.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Gotcha. Thanks for the tips. Just curious - how often is detail-stripping and cleaning that area a good idea, generally?

Quote Originally Posted by cz9 View Post
    Gotcha. Thanks for the tips. Just curious - how often is detail-stripping and cleaning that area a good idea, generally?
    Good question. I dont know either but have somewhere betwn 2-300 round thru my CW380 and have never stripped the striker nor cleaned it with anything other than
    wipe off the externals. In fact, when I feel it needs a cleaning, I'll blast it with brake cleaner, blow it dry with a hair dryer, and call it a day.

PS: wear safety glasses when you use brake cleaner.
    CT380,CW9, P45, Colt 1991A1, 1911A1 Rem-Rand, Sig GSR 45acp, Sig Ultra 45acp,Colt New Agent 9mm, German Makarov 9X18, M1 Carbines, Walther P22, Remington Nylon 66, North Amer 22, Ruger LCR 38cal, S&W Victory 38spl, S&W M15 38, Remington 870 Police 12ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointblank View Post
    Ballistol is not regular oil, it's made from mineral oil. It evaporates fairly quickly.
    Correct. And when it dries, it becomes wax-like and is very sticky. It should definitely be cleaned out. That can be done by detail strip of the slide, or by flushing it well, as described by others.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

got it. Will do. Thanks for all the tips!!

Quote Originally Posted by RRP View Post
    Correct. And when it dries, it becomes wax-like and is very sticky. It should definitely be cleaned out. That can be done by detail strip of the slide, or by flushing it well, as described by others.
    I'm not sure what product by Ballistol you are using, but mine doesn't dry "sticky". Check out Hickok45's videos, it's all he uses and he hoses down his weapons in the stuff.
    Draw me not without provocation, sheath me not without honor.

Quote Originally Posted by RRP View Post
    RE: drying sticky. The Ballistol Company claims otherwise. FYI.
    http://www.ballistol.com/longevity/
    ​O|||||||O