Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Xssights
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whoops shot Ballistol into firing pin

A shot of Brakleen should clean up the excess lubricant nicely. Everything I've ever learned about applying lubricants to firearms is to use it sparingly. In fact, for those of you who live where it REALLY gets cold, the advice is to use no lubricants at all.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat

Quote Originally Posted by Pointblank View Post
    I'm not sure what product by Ballistol you are using, but mine doesn't dry "sticky". Check out Hickok45's videos, it's all he uses and he hoses down his weapons in the stuff.
    He says to use it sparingly, and to always keep it away from the firing pin to avoid gumming up the works.
    Hello, Vinny. It's your Uncle Bingo. Time to pay the check!

Quote Originally Posted by Pointblank View Post
    I'm not sure what product by Ballistol you are using, but mine doesn't dry "sticky". Check out Hickok45's videos, it's all he uses and he hoses down his weapons in the stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by t4terrific View Post
    He says to use it sparingly, and to always keep it away from the firing pin to avoid gumming up the works.
    I lube Kahrs more, mostly because of all the info I've read on this site, and Ballistol works for me- but not in the firing pin channel. NOTHING GREASY OR "LUBEY" SHOULD GO IN THERE. Follow everyone's recommendation and shoot some non-chlorinated brake cleaner into the cleanout. The little straw that comes with the aerosol can is perfect for that hole. That should take care of it.
    Last edited by SlowBurn; 01-24-2015 at 01:56 PM.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Groo here
    I have little experence with Kahr's compared to "block" but lube in most striker fired gun striker channel
    will cause light firing pin strikes.
    The lube acts like a shock on your car, slowing down the striker.
    The colder it gets , the worse it is.
    In Very cold/winter conditions , many people will use a dry lube or none at all.
    As few shots will be fired in such conditions, [ most SD shootings are 3 rds or less and almost all are done by the time the gun runs dry- per Grant Cunningham]
    The wear to parts is small.

Ballistol is amazing stuff.
    Never hardens and for me is truly all-purpose.
    Aside from weapons, I use it on nearly everything.
    If you read more about it you will find it has medicinal uses as well.

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    RE: drying sticky. The Ballistol Company claims otherwise. FYI.
    http://www.ballistol.com/longevity/

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

I would never use compressed air on any of my firearms. Compressed air, think of it as a "high pressure system" when you release the high pressure it turns into a "low pressure system". Low pressure systems bring rain and moisture. Why do you think air compressors come with the little water drain hole at the bottom of the tank? Everytime you use the compressor it lowers the air pressure inside the tank and causes condensation. That same release of pressure at the nozzle will shoot water or condensation into your gun.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Just take it apart and clean the firing pin channel and striker