Xssights   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AIWB: I'm seeing more and more on this sort of carry

Default AIWB: I'm seeing more and more on this sort of carry

There are more and more people starting to carry this way and advocating it for various reasons. Like SOB, I've considered it dangerous and right now I wouldn't be comfortable carrying that way.

What are your thoughts and do you carry AIWB?

When I'm not pocket carrying (which now days is most often) I'm AIWB carrying. Doing it for about 8 years or so. About six of those years was with a Glock 26. It did take a bit of getting used to and you certainly want to be very careful when re-holstering. When it makes sense remove the holster from your waist, re-holster and then put the holster with gun back on.
    "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Because of a shoulder injury I've always carried AIWB. The only draw back to appendix carry is that it puts the gun in close proximity to your assailant and you might have trouble drawing the gun if your grappling with an attacker up close and personal. Remaining aware of your situation negates that to some extent. I find that having the gun close to where my hand hangs naturally is a big plus. I can clear, rotate and empty the gun in about three seconds by point shooting. I'm very careful about holstering though I have little to lose and doubt that Mrs. Muggsy would miss it much.
    Last edited by muggsy; 10-16-2015 at 07:06 AM.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

I don't know why it would be any more dangerous, than carrying any other way. You still have to worry about both snubbies................................

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I don't know why it would be any more dangerous, than carrying any other way.
    I agree with you. I don't think AIWB is any more dangerous than any other position, when carried. But I do think there is more of a tendency to sweep oneself when reholstering AIWB than reholstering IWB on the hip, for instance. That, of course, can be mitigated if one is conscious of the muzzle and develops safe habits when reholstering.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

It's uncomfortable when sitting down, for me.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

With a larger firearm, it wouldn't work for me, but with the Kahr, it works nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    It's uncomfortable when sitting down, for me.
    Are you using an AIWB specific holster? These are designed to hold the gun up higher, so the end of the barrel isn't digging into anything when you're sitting. Might not work well if you wear lower rise jeans and/or have a belly.

It's both, not a specific holster and just enough belly to dig into the spare tire.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

I have a Remora holster on order, but can carry my CW45 comfortably
    without a holster. That's the only benefit I have found for Dunlop's disease.