Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Impressions of the CM45

Default Impressions of the CM45

Not too much info on it here, so here's my mini-review.

I've had it for about a month now. Paid around $360 at Bakers Boots in Eugene (great shop).

I've got 200 rds down the pipe and i've been carrying it in a bullseye pm45 holster. It's quite serviceable and well built but i'm having trouble finding that sweet spot to carry it at. I appreciate that you can tuck in your shirt behind the clip, pretty cool feature. Here's a pic:

I started with some hand-loads. My dad is a compulsive hand-loader and has thousands of 45 on hand so i figured what a great way to get through the break-in period. Unfortunately he has them loaded just a tad over saami spec (for length) and they wouldn't feed well.

Since then i've got 100 rds of Rem UMC fmj down the pipe and 50 rds of Speer Gold Dot +P 200gr which i'm currently carrying. The box says 1050fps so i'm assuming somewhere around 950-975fps through the little barrel on the CM45. Not a single failure of any kind using factory ammo thus far. I've yet to clean it and it's digesting everything i feed it.

I have to admit I was a little concerned about being able to control a sub-compact 45. Within just a couple magazines through the CM those concerns were put to rest. I have medium sized hands and i can get a full 3 finger grip. It's small enough that i seem to be able to get a really tight purchase on the thing. Even shooting one handed recoil was extremely manageable, i would say just as light recoiling as my Shield 40, and for that matter more pleasant to shoot than my P3AT due to the heft (or lack thereof). I've owned Glocks, Kel tecs, Taurus's, Berettas (several), and this trigger is for me by far the best. I can't get over how nice it is. Buttery smooth, predictable, i love it.

I'm still getting used to the gun. I'm pretty accurate with slow fire, but i'm having trouble getting dialed in in rapid fire. It's a new relationship, there's always a feeling out period.

The only negatives i can think of are that the take down could be a little easier and a rail would be nice.

I can't believe what a fine pistol this is for the price point. I'll update the thread with muzzle velocities on the 200gr gold dots if there is any interest.

Good mini review! Glad to hear your happy with your new CM45.
    (Maybe your dad could run some of his reloads though his seating die again and shorten some up a little for you to try?)

I think it is a great gun too. Mine has been 100% reliable. I have posted my mini review and some pics back when they were first released when I got mine, and I agree I am a little surprised there is not more posts or interest about them here. (But here of late that is probably a good thing on this forum )

I carry mine more then any of my other Kahrs. This fall/winter I have been carrying it in a high ride OWB rig that is easily covered and concealed by my over shirt/coat, its lightweight and short barrel allows it to comfortably ride high and tight in it.

It is one of, if not THE smallest/lightest .45acp auto pistols made and that makes it a very nice, and powerful carry gun IMO.

Thanks for post and info. I've been wanting to get me one of those and your post makes me want one more.
    "Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called a Missouri boat ride."

I finally broke down and got one recently and now I wonder why I waited so long. I kept telling myself I didn't want a .45 carry pistol unless Kahr made one in stainless (just call me blue-boy while I hold my breath waiting for that one). Turns out the CM45 is actually a sweet shooter despite its light weight. The size is right too. I don't mind losing the one round vs. the CW for the extra concealability. I've been carrying mine in a simple Bulldog Cases slide and it's an all-day gun. And the price? That's a heck of a nice pistol for under $400 IMHO.

Thanks for the review OP.
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    I finally broke down and got one recently and now I wonder why I waited so long. I kept telling myself I didn't want a .45 carry pistol unless Kahr made one in stainless (just call me blue-boy while I hold my breath waiting for that one.
    Better breathe blue boy!

Great review. I put another 100 rounds of WWB and 20 rounds of CD through mine this week. I had one FTE due to limp-wristing it and one jam with a bad round that had a cleft lip, but otherwise everything fed great. Very accurate for its size - I can hold 5" groups at 50 feet using the stock sights. Now that I have a couple hundred rounds through my CM45, I'm just about ready to trust it for concealed carry.

^^^^ same here. I need another 50 error free rounds before it gets the official OK. But I'm already pretty confident in this CM45.
    ​O|||||||O

I like mine too, and since I only use factory, brand-name ammo, it has run fine. It's a cheaper replacement for the PM45 I lost in a burglary several years ago. I carry mine on a belt holster, but it will work in a heavy jacket pocket.

I bought a CM45 a couple of months ago for EDC use. I do like it, but I only have 150rds of somewhat mixed ammo through it. It has run 99%. Not a real soft shooter, but certainly not bad at all and very good accuracy with my loads, a pleasant surprise. As I said, I do like it, but.......I'm going to get rid of it. Problem is, as I got it for EDC, it needs to be UNLOADED each evening at home, and trying to do that dick dance of getting the chambered round out has pretty much ruined it for me. I thought I saw some type of cure for the problem, but cannot find it. Not to mention the ejector & extractor pretty much ruin the fired brass. If ejecting the round from the chamber could be corrected, I would overlook the buggered up cases & maybe keep it. Any thoughts on my probs??

Pull the magazine before unloading the chambered round so that it falls out the well?