Xssights   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying

Default Flying

Anyone ever take a firearm along when you fly commercial? I know there are programs for that but how do they work?
    ​O|||||||O

Each carrier has their own set of rules, generally all the same.

Usually have to have firearm in a lockable case and declared. Ammo has to be in a separate bag and in a factory box or suitable container, a ziplock bag don't make the cut.

My son took a rifle to Missouri hunting a couple times and had no trouble. Handguns can be trickier and I've heard real horror stories of planes being diverted to communist states where the baggage gun becomes an issue.

Going to Alaska with guns is generally easy on the other hand.

Funny this comes up now, my wife is threatening to make me fly to San Diego to watch my son graduate from Marine Corp basic. I'm looking at trains or driving. Why does it have to be in California?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks Colonel. Do you know if you have to check it or can you carry it on? Congrats to the graduate.
    ​O|||||||O

Definitely have to check it, they'll freak if you try to carry it on. Heck you can't carry a pen knife in carry on.

Not sure of your plan but it might be best to just bring the gun in baggage and buy ammo or if your meeting somebody, have them have ammo when you get there, preferably at the car, just outside the airport.

You've seen the video where the cute gal strips down to her bikini to get through TSA?? It's no joke.

Makes me want to take the train even more or drive better yet. Can't take guns on the train either without declaring them and being in baggage. Maybe I'll drive instead......Why California?
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

FYI. I found this. http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...and-ammunition

I'm uncomfortable checking even in a locked box. But maybe in a locked box inside a locked hard-sided suitcase. That's gotta be better than leaving it at home. Definitely call the airline first.

Thanks. I'm off to Google search for that cute girl going thru security video.
    ​O|||||||O

Guess the cousin's dog "Nutcracker" wouldn't get past those sharp-eyed TSA sleuths...

(hunting for that wascally wabbit outside Pittsburg)

http://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/h...81&oe=552C096B
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Each airline is different so check their websites and be prepared for problems. Add add additional 1-2 hours to progress thru the check in and TSA.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Usually because the folks at the counter don't encounter it often enough and some aren't up on procedure.

My son was lucky he got right through even though we allowed the couple extra hours. They did nearly panic when he stepped over the scale and relocked his hard case after the agent was going to send it down the line unlocked.
    They weren't impressed but he got r dun.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

I've flown a few times with my off duty pistol in my checked luggage. The airline required the pistol to be unloaded and securely encased in a locked container. I use a plastic Doskocil pistol case with a couple of small padlocks I got at Ace Hardware. The ammunition was required to be stored separately in an approved container, but allowed within the same suitcase. I used the manufacturers box. I declared the firearm and ammunition to the airline check-in agent and filled out a very short FAA form. The pistol case was opened in my presence for inspection, then locked by me with all keys in my possession. The airline agent asked for my contact information should TSA have any questions or require further inspection. Upon arrival at my destination and subsequent to securing my rental car, the pistol was retrieved and loaded. Same procedure on the return trips. Piece of cake.

As stated in previous posts, each airline has their set of rules posted on their web sites.

Thanks all. It does sound like it's probably a good idea to schedule all your flights with one airline (for connections and return trips). It would suck to get half way out then encounter problems.
    ​O|||||||O