Magnum Research new   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop

Thread: specific area to sand? failure to feed

Default specific area to sand? failure to feed

Sorry to probably be beating a dead horse here, but I can't find a picture or specific instruction. New PM9, about 1% so far, failure to feed (jammed against feed ramp). I did not have this issue with my CW9, and 5 of my 7 magazines are from the CW9. I don't have the info handy, but at least half the failures were with the new magazines.

In any case, saw the great sticky in the tech section, and indeed the followers on some of the magazines are hitting the magazine release latch (can be seen with slide off, looking down, trying to insert the follower up into the mag tube while it's locked into the grip).

Common sense tells me, the area to sand is the front right corner of the follower, right where it snags on the latch. Almost removing some of the "ledge" that exists about halfway down the front of the follower, but only the right 1/3 of it. I'm not messing with the top contours I assume?

Of the 3 I did so far, seems what I did was correct, as those followers now slide freely, but before I kept going, figured maybe I better ask. Incidentally, does not seem to take very much removal of plastic at all, a few thousandths I'm guesssing. Just looking for some validation or correction, thx.

It is ridiculous that Kahr can't change their specs slightly to make that mod obsolete. It is also ridiculous that they can't figure out how to flush fit the mags. But, I like the rest of the design enough to look past it and just complain....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I did all 6 (couldn't do the 7th, one of the new ones, because when I disassembled it, found a broken follower). So here's hoping I did it right, will find out next few hundred rounds.

As for the design...molds don't last forever, so if they know of the issue, it would be a relative no brainer to correct next time they build a tool (of course I know nothing of the function of the rest of the follower shape). There are no discernible cavity numbers in the followers, so they or their supplier either have no traceability or a one cavity mold (very unlikely). Anyway, I could see not building all new cavities if it's high cavitation (big bucks unless cheapy AP molding, you'd hope that's not the case), but when the thing craps out, they could redesign then. Doubt they could modify current, because removing plastic = adding steel.

They could add a QA element that would check it before the customer gets it. The customer should not have to modify premium grade weapons to function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk