Mitch Rosen   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left - Right, Comments Please

Default Left - Right, Comments Please

I am right handed and shoot right handed. I have always had the problem of shooting to the left, regardless of the pistol make. I realize that a big part of this is due to grip, finger placement on the trigger and so on. I was told to try and shoot left handed and gave it a try with some amazing results. It is of course uncomfortable and does not come natural but after working on the grip and getting used to it I am center target ! It will take a great deal more practice to reach a natural and comfortable acceptance of this but the results so far are encouraging. Anyone have a comments or have you heard of this tactic before?

jkar

Are you left eye dominant by chance? It really shouldn't matter that much shooting a handgun but it could be a factor.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Can't argue with successful results but some of us correct this problem by applying more or less finger on the trigger. If you're shooting left, more finger on the trigger usually provides a straight back pull or even results in groups to the right. Less finger on the trigger provides the opposite results.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat

Quote Originally Posted by marshal kane View Post
    Can't argue with successful results but some of us correct this problem by applying more or less finger on the trigger. If you're shooting left, more finger on the trigger usually provides a straight back pull or even results in groups to the right. Less finger on the trigger provides the opposite results.
    That's what has worked for me.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

with a rest or vise, check the sights and adjust as needed. when the gun is shooting bullseyes move on to shooting unsupported. shoot a 3 shot group doing the best sight alignment and trigger control you can. repeat this a few times. (I'm usually a little low and left.) ( right eyed and shooting right handed). (some times I way low and left, flinch/blink). the flinch/blink is natural, just the bodies defense mechanism countering recoil, muzzle flash, slide movement, brass flying around. put some snap caps in the mix. when the gun goes click instead of bang, did you blink, flinch, dip the barrel? shooting lefty has temporarily got you out of bad habits learned shooting righty. if on any given day, you pick up an accurate gun and shoot left and low, change point of aim to the right and higher.
    watch this-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=620LlSK3Oyo

Quote Originally Posted by marcinstl View Post
    watch this--
    That makes too much sense. Great video. Thanks
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Quote Originally Posted by jkar4242 View Post
    I am right handed and shoot right handed. I have always had the problem of shooting to the left, regardless of the pistol make. I realize that a big part of this is due to grip, finger placement on the trigger and so on. I was told to try and shoot left handed and gave it a try with some amazing results. It is of course uncomfortable and does not come natural but after working on the grip and getting used to it I am center target ! It will take a great deal more practice to reach a natural and comfortable acceptance of this but the results so far are encouraging. Anyone have a comments or have you heard of this tactic before?

jkar
    Right handed pistol shooters tend to pull left. Lefties the opposite. It's a straight back trigger pull/pressure, let it break clean issue....grip fit, grip, finger placement, training/practice. If you're placing left right handed and still on target with your left after a bit of left handed familiarization your sights may need a bit of correction to get the gun correct.

Col has a thought to consider as well, tho shoot both eyes open and it should never make a difference.
    NRA Benefactor

Ya just have to adjust where your finger sets on the trigger and make a straight pull to the rear. No side pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBurn View Post
    That makes too much sense. Great video. Thanks
    the taxpayers are funding those videos, so we might as well watch them. that dryfire and hold drill will make you cry, minute seems like an hour. Army has some good shooting vids.

Quote Originally Posted by marcinstl View Post
    ~~ if on any given day, you pick up an accurate gun and shoot left and low, change point of aim to the right and higher.
    Perhaps I missed the point of this statement, but I strongly disagree with it.

This is a classic case of treating the symptom, rather than fixing the problem. Shooting low left is a result of poor fundamentals. Adjusting point-of-aim to offset poor skills, as you suggest, does not fix the problem. In a life-death situation, I won't remember to aim at the threat's left shoulder, in order to put rounds center mass. It's best to work on correcting the root problem. The video series, to which you linked, is a very good place to start.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper