Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carry rant

Default Open carry rant

Hello again. This has nothing to do with Kahr but just thought I'd see what other peoples opinions were. I like guns I own several and have been shooting since I was a child. I'm all for carrying concealed weapons (legally) But I really can't stand open carriers. Especially the people who carry an ar15 down the street because ''it's our right'' Open carry a pistol on your hip, sure that's cool but you're going to be the first target if crap goes down. But the ar15 people or the people who walk around with a rifle and 3 or 4 pistols attached to them are just morons. The way I see it is these retards are just begging for tighter gun control. They are an enemy to the 2nd amendment. What do you think?

I am not opposed to open-carry. I do not support, however, organized open-carry rallies where people sling long guns and target businesses merely to make a point about their rights. I think these rallies are counter-productive to our efforts to protect the second amendment. And, I have sometimes wondered whose side they are really representing.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

I CC even though it is legal for me to OC. I'm not one of the folks you're talking about BUT I see a point that they're often trying to make. The point about a right NOT exercised being easier to loose than one that is exercised. I agree that often their tactics are often counter productive especially when they get in peoples faces or look for confrontations with the police.
    "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
    I CC even though it is legal for me to OC. I'm not one of the folks you're talking about BUT I see a point that they're often trying to make. The point about a right NOT exercised being easier to loose than one that is exercised. I agree that often their tactics are often counter productive especially when they get in peoples faces or look for confrontations with the police.
    I pretty much see it this way. I don't think open carry is as good a method of self defense, but in some cases it's the only avenue open. An over armed rally participant may be looked upon as over zealous, but how does a society measure that? If I go to church four times a week, or read four newspapers a day or openly complain about inferior elected leadership - does that make me as much of a zealot? How much use of a right is too much?

What I see as the main erosion factor in the country today is the erosion of responsibility. We, as a society, have chosen to accept mediocre as the norm and when confronted by extraordinary, we are shocked. I'd rather see ten thousand mega-armed mall commandos at a rally than ten thousand disarmed mall commandos begging for a lost freedom to be returned.
    Last edited by ripley16; 01-24-2015 at 09:25 AM.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Since you can't conceal a rifle, it makes it pretty tough to conceal carry. That's why they make handguns. In every part of society, there are idiots. The firearms world is no different. The posers are doing no good, and stirring up the sheep.

I approve of OC of handguns if the person so chooses. Open carry of rifles is profound stupidity and counter productive. Those that say you are not a true believer in the 2ND Amendment if you do not approve of OC of long guns are IDIOTS AND FOOLS!!!
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Hackman View Post
    Hello again. This has nothing to do with Kahr but just thought I'd see what other peoples opinions were. I like guns I own several and have been shooting since I was a child. I'm all for carrying concealed weapons (legally) But I really can't stand open carriers. Especially the people who carry an ar15 down the street because ''it's our right'' Open carry a pistol on your hip, sure that's cool but you're going to be the first target if crap goes down. But the ar15 people or the people who walk around with a rifle and 3 or 4 pistols attached to them are just morons. The way I see it is these retards are just begging for tighter gun control. They are an enemy to the 2nd amendment. What do you think?
    Please read the following article that is still applicable despite its focus upon politics.

http://blog.joehuffman.org/2015/01/2...versus-sticks/

You are doing nobody a favor by attempting to use shame and negative remarks regarding people who open carry long guns. You are only generating bad will amongst the "Activist" portion of gun owners. You have ZERO power to stop them and the more you rant, the more they will carry in a way you do not like. It is far better to encourage them to lawfully open carry a handgun through positive means and pointing out any gun safety violations they committed in front of you. Logic and reason, along with good social skills, work on gun owners!

In the case of Texas, long gun open carry is the only lawful means available to exercise the right. Concealed carry is a privilege in Texas and therefore is not a right.

Long gun open carry has two purposes: 1) protect people who use a rifle to defend themselves and/or others in a public place (as in an emergency situation) and 2) it is a political reminder to politicians that if they go too far we will correct them.

I agree that general daily carry of a long guns (LGOC) is not something that should be done except in specific circumstances. The exceptions are handgun restrictions due to age and in states like Texas who ban the free expression of carry of a handgun through unconstitutional laws. I am opposed to daily long gun open carry for gun safety reasons; I have seen LGOC'ers sweep people as they flipped the muzzle up to sit. Poor handling is in excuseable and a holstered handguns is perfectly safe. It is far better to convince the person engaging in LGOC through logic and reason than it is to make them upset. They will ignore you in the future even though you may be 100% in the right.

I'm a bit surprised that I agree with every post in this thread. Usually when the topic comes up on the Internet, you get a small number of vocal die-hards who can't fathom why open carry would be undesirable, or why a dozen guys showing up at Starbucks with their AR15s could be counterproductive. Then things usually polarize and go quickly downhill from there.

Same as the above posters, I don't OC because of the tactical disadvantage and I'm just not the type who likes to freak out the public for shock's sake. But I am glad I could, if it was the only way. And I'll also admit that if people didn't get freaked out about it, I sort of see a group of AR guys at Starbucks as performance art. Hey, if avante-garde artists can be all weird and (legally) irreverent in public, there's no need to freak out about ARs. Or Fez hats. Or motorcycle jackets. Or old dudes wearing pink motorcycle jackets wearing fez hats carrying ARs blowing kazoos.

Ok, sorry, that went in a weird direction for a moment... :-D

Crap, that reminds me I can't find my kazoo anyplace and I've looked everywhere.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I don't like open carry of body piercings and tattoos, saggy pants, sideways baseball caps, burkas, liberalism, and texting while walking (that one especially makes you a mugger's first choice of victim. Ban those before banning open carry, because someone on the internet said so.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101