Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new

Thread: New CT380 range report

Default New CT380 range report

Bought my CT380 from Bud's in early December - did the clean, lube thing out of the box & racked it several hundred times over the next few weeks.

Just got back from the new Shady Oaks range in Cedar Park - my first visit there to baptize the new gun. Nice facility with friendly & helpful folks, and the inevitable good shop dog that smells your legs when you walk in.

Anyway - shot 50 rounds of the Rem Sure Shot first. The little gun ran like a champ. Then loaded up the three mags with the WWB, and not one darn round would fire - not even a dimple on the primers. Epic ammo ffail - the first round even failed to go into battery.

Reloaded & ran another 50 rounds of the Sure Shot very smoothly. Then the same with the Critical Defense. No problems with that either. Am going to try some Federal next time out & some more Remington & the CD before thinking about using the CT380 for pocket carry.

I knew these little pocket pistols could be ammo finicky, but never had any hiccups with WWB in the LCP or the Colt Government .380.
    Will just use that stuff in those. But the CT380 shore doesn't like the WWB.

The longer grip of the CT fit my hand a lot better than the LCP, so it was easier to control and the recoil was not as snappy as with the Ruger. Didn't shoot any of the Remington JHP - that new range has time-punch cards, and @ $15 for 45 minutes, I didn't want to use up all the gift card the kid gave me for Christmas. I think I'm gonna like this lil mousegun.

Accuracy? It shot where I pointed it - all over the targets at 7 & 15 yards. Didn't shoot my foot though, so that's a good thing. Will get more practice in with it & get used to the new grip position - it feels so much different than the LCP. And yes, the trigger is very nice & much better than the LCP.

Last edited by Armybrat; 01-29-2015 at 01:51 PM.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Thanks for the range report.

It is good that you had several brands of ammo with you to shoot. I probably would not of thought of that and if it were WWB that I did bring I'd probably be blaming all the issues on the gun itself and not the gun ammo combination. So, I wonder what the explaination is for the failures with some ammo brands and not others?
    "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have no idea - could be a bad batch of ammo.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    I have no idea - could be a bad batch of ammo.
    Must have been. I've shot several hundred of WWB, fairly old stuff, thru
    my CW380 with nary a failure. Was this WWB something you've purchased recently? Let us know how they shoot in some other 380.

PS: I envy you your CT. I bought my CW without really knowing what was available but now wish I had got the CT. I carry in an OWB holster so small size is of no advantage to me. Perhaps I can find someone local to trade with.
    CT380,CW9, P45, Colt 1991A1, 1911A1 Rem-Rand, Sig GSR 45acp, Sig Ultra 45acp,Colt New Agent 9mm, German Makarov 9X18, M1 Carbines, Walther P22, Remington Nylon 66, North Amer 22, Ruger LCR 38cal, S&W Victory 38spl, S&W M15 38, Remington 870 Police 12ga.

I saw my first CT380 over the weekend. IMHO the CM's and P380's are just a little on the dinky side. But the CT380 is really cool: large enough to hold onto and boy is it thin! That one is gonna be calling to me.
    ​O|||||||O

They are still $281 at Bud's (free shipping):

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...80ACP+7RD+1MAG
    -Rudyard Kipling

If you have the strength to operate the slide, the CT380 is a steal at the Buds price. That's where I got mine. Price on the CM9 was also quite good if memory serves.
    Owner of and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

My slide recoil spring has loosened up enough to make it rackable for me. But wouldn't recommend it for those with weak hands & fingers.
    -Rudyard Kipling