Xssights   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primer Strike Curiosity

Default Primer Strike Curiosity

Curious about the Kahr primer strikes. I know the Kahr Operating Instructions (page 23 on mine) state "..., you may notice that the primer indent appears distorted or elongated". My curiosity revolves around the extent or lack thereof from one Kahr to another.

My MK9 primer strikes (most of them) are extremely distorted or elongated to the point that the primer is smeared out passed the edge of the primer, and almost onto the case. The strikes are very deep. See photo below for the MK9 primer strikes.

My K9 primer strikes (most of them) are distorted or elongated as well but not past the edge of the primer unlike those of those of the MK9.

My friend's CW9 has most of the primer strikes with very minimal distortion or elongation. These also appear to be less deep than those of the K9 and MK9.

It would be appreciated if you could explain or show the degree of primer distortion or elongation on your primer strikes while stating the model of pistol. Opinions are welcome. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Redstate; 01-29-2015 at 09:30 PM.

MK9..........2001 model.................no pics...............................My strikes are even more elongated, first time I saw them, I kind of freaked a bit. Sometimes a bit off center also.

Before my slide was replaced on my CW45, the elogations extended past the primer and were way off center, leaving firing pin marks on the inner edge of the primer pocket. With new frame, they all stay within the diameter of the primer.

My CM9 primers are also way less than what you show in your pics.

yours look pretty extreme. Sorry, I don't have any pics for comparison handy.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    MK9..........2001 model.................no pics...............................My strikes are even more elongated, first time I saw them, I kind of freaked a bit. Sometimes a bit off center also.
    Thanks. Are you saying that your primer strikes are even more smeared than on mine? As you can see in my photo, they smear off the primer perimeter and to the case. I should note that it has run flawlessly with over 1000 rounds through it.

Quote Originally Posted by tony k View Post
    Before my slide was replaced on my CW45, the elogations extended past the primer and were way off center, leaving firing pin marks on the inner edge of the primer pocket. With new frame, they all stay within the diameter of the primer.

My CM9 primers are also way less than what you show in your pics.

yours look pretty extreme. Sorry, I don't have any pics for comparison handy.
    Thanks. I will try to post some photos of my K9 primer hits and my friend's CW9 primer hits referenced in my original post.

This is nothing more than primer smear and quite normal in striker fired pistols. The striker doesn't retract until the slide moves forward toward battery after the fired case has been ejected. If you read your owners manual you would be aware of this. Of course we all know that a true gun expert only reads the manual as a last resort.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    Of course we all know that a true gun expert only reads the manual as a last resort.
    Also true for ammo reloading, chainsaw operation, aircraft maintenance, and brain surgery

Seriously though, if the guns are operating properly, I wouldn't worry too much.

Okay, here is a magnified set of photos. The first two are of the same primers in the photo in my original post.
    The last one is of a primer from my friend's CW9. I plan on using my K9 tomorrow and will post a photo when I can.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A nice clean gun will have a deeper primer strike than a gun that has an accumulation of oil and crud in the striker channel. There is also a difference in the hardness of the primer metal. Softer primers will have a deeper indentation. The amount of recoil also plays into the strike indentation. +P loads will be deeper than target ammo. What it boils down to is (don't be concerned about it) unless the strike is so light it doesn't ignite the primer, or so deep it allows gas to escape out of the primer strike hole. If you have consistant light strikes then you need to clean the striker channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Redstate View Post
    Thanks. Are you saying that your primer strikes are even more smeared than on mine? As you can see in my photo, they smear off the primer perimeter and to the case. I should note that it has run flawlessly with over 1000 rounds through it.
    Sometimes, yes.....................