Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primer Strike Curiosity

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    Sometimes, yes.....................
    Thanks, I appreciate you.

Now I have some magnified photos of the primer strikes from my P9 Covert. These are minimal compared to the MK9.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are the magnified photos of the primer strikes from my K9. These are more elongated or distorted than those of the P9 and are not as much as those of the MK9.

What have I learned from this? The 4 guns are all different as far as the amount of elongation or distortion. The ammo brand seems to make a difference. Also, probably a mere coincidence, with the polymer guns the amount of elongation or distortion was less than with the steel guns. Also of possible note is that the MK9, the shortest of the 4, had the most elongation or distortion. Trying to be scientific about this; but don't have enough pistols to sample. So, the conclusion is that I have no conclusion why there is a difference between the various pistols.

Again, opinions, as well as descriptions of your primer strike appearance or photos are welcome. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Redstate View Post
    Here are the magnified photos of the primer strikes from my K9. These are more elongated or distorted than those of the P9 and are not as much as those of the MK9.

What have I learned from this? The 4 guns are all different as far as the amount of elongation or distortion. The ammo brand seems to make a difference. Also, probably a mere coincidence, with the polymer guns the amount of elongation or distortion was less than with the steel guns. Also of possible note is that the MK9, the shortest of the 4, had the most elongation or distortion. Trying to be scientific about this; but don't have enough pistols to sample. So, the conclusion is that I have no conclusion why there is a difference between the various pistols.

Again, opinions, as well as descriptions of your primer strike appearance or photos are welcome. Thanks.

RS:

Something occurs to me; is it possible that the occurrence of the larger/longer smear is due to the length of the barrel on these striker fired handguns? The shorter the barrel, the greater the angle it has to make, the more the back of the barrel moves down when it unlocks during the process thus the longer the smear.
    What thinks the forum?

- steve
    -NRA Life Member

-It isn’t Islamophobia when they really ARE trying to kill you!

-Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property.
    Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    -Thomas Paine

Good question Steve. Maybe others will chime in. Thanks.

Barrel attitude, length, etc. Kinda got my gears turning (maybe just grinding)

I'm just thinking out loud here. Maybe ejector or the timing of ejection has something to do with it. Don't forget about the extractor; I'm learning that there is some variation in extractors. That could change how long or how forcefully the case head is held against the breech face after ignition, thus changing how long and how forcefully the primer remains in contact with the firing pin before it ejects.

I'd compare ejectors and extractors between the three guns.

The P9 Covert has the least smeared primers. Notice that the position of the P9 ejector mark is pretty low and further out on the headstamp. The K9 has no detectable ejector mark and a pronounced elongation of the primer strike. The CW9 has a pronounced smear and a highly visible ejector mark that sits higher and nearly touches the primer.

I don't think you have anything to worry about in any case. It is interesting to observe the differences though. thanks for sharing. Lots of food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by tony k View Post
    Barrel attitude, length, etc. Kinda got my gears turning (maybe just grinding)

I'm just thinking out loud here. Maybe ejector or the timing of ejection has something to do with it. Don't forget about the extractor; I'm learning that there is some variation in extractors. That could change how long or how forcefully the case head is held against the breech face after ignition, thus changing how long and how forcefully the primer remains in contact with the firing pin before it ejects.

I'd compare ejectors and extractors between the three guns.

The P9 Covert has the least smeared primers. Notice that the position of the P9 ejector mark is pretty low and further out on the headstamp. The K9 has no detectable ejector mark and a pronounced elongation of the primer strike. The CW9 has a pronounced smear and a highly visible ejector mark that sits higher and nearly touches the primer.

I don't think you have anything to worry about in any case. It is interesting to observe the differences though. thanks for sharing. Lots of food for thought
    TK:

Yes, that's another way of looking at the query that I posed above.
    It sure looks like the shorter barrels are the ones that produce this longer primer smear.
    I know that my PM9 and CM9 do exhibit this primer smear but not it to the extent that the OP has shown in the pictures of his MK9.

-steve
    -NRA Life Member

-It isn’t Islamophobia when they really ARE trying to kill you!

-Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property.
    Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    -Thomas Paine

Thanks tony k. Interesting thoughts, and I appreciate them. Actually, the order of smearing, from least to most is as follows: CW9, P9 (note P9 and CW9 are very close), K9 and finally MK9.

This sounds like " smear tactics " to me.................

Quote Originally Posted by Redstate View Post
    Now I have some magnified photos of the primer strikes from my P9 Covert. These are minimal compared to the MK9.
    Contact Kahr immediately! Tell them that there must be something wrong with your gun, because you not getting enough primer smear. They should get a real chuckle out of that one. Make sure that you ask for an RA number and a prepaid shipping label.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380