Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Xssights
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Found solution to FTF and failure to return to battery on CW 380

If you take in to account all of the complaints on the .380, and all of the........this ammo works and this ammo doesn't, it's all over the map. One person says Perfecta works, another says no. One says Remington works, another says no. Some people can only find one brand that works. There is no consistency with any of it. You also have to take in to account all of the owners who don't know about this site, or don't read about any internet issues. These poor people just unload the firearm on to the next person. Let's get down to basics. There is no reason why you should have to go through all of this with a new firearm. Most people are not gunsmiths, engineers, etc.. Purchase at your own risk people. You should not have to go through hundreds of dollars in ammo, to try and find one that works consistently. You end up spending more time and money than you paid for the firearm in the first place. To put it in perspective, I've been a shooter for over 45+ years, and besides my MK, I have never had ANY of these issues with ANY firearm or manufacturer. I guess you have to ask yourself, is a .380 really worth all of this trouble? Apparently some think so................................................ .....

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    If you take in to account all of the complaints on the .380, and all of the........this ammo works and this ammo doesn't, it's all over the map. One person says Perfecta works, another says no. One says Remington works, another says no. Some people can only find one brand that works. There is no consistency with any of it. You also have to take in to account all of the owners who don't know about this site, or don't read about any internet issues. These poor people just unload the firearm on to the next person. Let's get down to basics. There is no reason why you should have to go through all of this with a new firearm. Most people are not gunsmiths, engineers, etc.. Purchase at your own risk people. You should not have to go through hundreds of dollars in ammo, to try and find one that works consistently. You end up spending more time and money than you paid for the firearm in the first place. To put it in perspective, I've been a shooter for over 45+ years, and besides my MK, I have never had ANY of these issues with ANY firearm or manufacturer. I guess you have to ask yourself, is a .380 really worth all of this trouble? Apparently some think so................................................ .....
    ^^^ I haven't personally experienced the .380 woes. Yet I came to the decision that 9mm is small and light enough for me. PM9 or CM9 is pert near perfect IMHO. YMMV.
    ​O|||||||O

I guess you have to ask yourself, is a .380 really worth all of this trouble?
    Just a FYI, besides my Glock 42 I also have a 1929-vintage Colt Pocket Hammerless .380, and although it's an antique that I hardly shoot anymore it has always been flawlessly reliable no matter what ammo I put in it. I also used to own a Bersa Thunder and a couple of CZ-83s, and all of them were 100% reliable. The issue here isn't with the .380 cartridge in general, but what happens when you try to shoehorn it into a tiny handgun the size of yesterday's .25 and .32 autos. You have to accept the limitations of such tiny guns and the fact that they're not going to be as reliable or long-term durable as a full-sized handgun. They are going to be ammo-sensitive and require a lot more maintenance. If you're not willing to put up with that then stick with a larger handgun made for shooting instead of pocket carry. I'm not expecting my P380 or LCP to run several thousand rounds or fire all brands of ammo without issue. I just want them to work well enough that, given the required TLC I can still expect them to work if they're desperately needed.

In my opinion:

Buy an LCP or an
    RM380 and you most likely will have no problems with any ammo. Buy a Kahr 380 and you roll the dice. Even if you do get one that runs smoothly on some ammo, there's a good chance that down the road the striker will break.

There are pocket 380 designs that are as reliable and ammo friendly as the typical bigger 9mm. Kahr just isn't one of them.

Dave

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    Just a FYI, besides my Glock 42 I also have a 1929-vintage Colt Pocket Hammerless .380, and although it's an antique that I hardly shoot anymore it has always been flawlessly reliable no matter what ammo I put in it. I also used to own a Bersa Thunder and a couple of CZ-83s, and all of them were 100% reliable. The issue here isn't with the .380 cartridge in general, but what happens when you try to shoehorn it into a tiny handgun the size of yesterday's .25 and .32 autos. You have to accept the limitations of such tiny guns and the fact that they're not going to be as reliable or long-term durable as a full-sized handgun. They are going to be ammo-sensitive and require a lot more maintenance. If you're not willing to put up with that then stick with a larger handgun made for shooting instead of pocket carry. I'm not expecting my P380 or LCP to run several thousand rounds or fire all brands of ammo without issue. I just want them to work well enough that, given the required TLC I can still expect them to work if they're desperately needed.
    I was going to make this same point, but dsk beat me to it and likely did a better job than I would have. John Browning invented the .380 and it served for a long time in serious police and military contexts. I have two .380 SIG P230s, once SIG's smallest pistol. My all stainless P230 weighs a bit less than a K9 and is roughly the same size. My alloy P230 weighs considerably less. I haven't shot them in some time, but when I did, they were very accurate and I do not remember ever having a failure. Modern defensive .380s in such pistols perform at roughly the same power levels as short barrel .38 Specials, carry more rounds and can shoot faster with great accuracy.
    As to today's really tiny .380 pistols, I think they would work better if they were slightly larger than the smallest sizes as in the CT380.

MY own truth is I'm just not going to regularly, consistently, every day carry anything larger. Owned a great larger handgun for years, still do. It was in the car but not on me unless I felt a specific reason.

LCP came as a revelation - pocket carry is perfect for me. But Ruger couldn't fix the "smiley" problem because its a design defect. So I bought a Kahr, then another as a spare. I loved them but both were stolen, so I decided to try the latest improved version of the Beretta Pico. Its had a chronic problem with the trigger reset. Beretta to its credit replaced it with a new one after the 3rd trip to the factory. But I'm gonna sell the replacement NIB.

Because the truth is even when they work as well as they can, those other micro 380s don't handle or shoot like Kahrs. I hated going to the range with them- it was painful. Kahrs have a low bore axis, are a true striker fired guns, and the trigger is amazing. If I don't enjoy shooting the gun I won't practice with it. So its back to the Kahrs which are a pleasure to shoot. Prices are great so I now have 2 again.

And if I'm going to practice, which is a must for me, I'm going to spend the same money breaking the gun in that I'd be spending anyway. So I'm fine with breaking in the newest one, and I continue to believe P380 and CW380 are the top of the micro 380 class at the moment.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    ^^^ I haven't personally experienced the .380 woes. Yet I came to the decision that 9mm is small and light enough for me. PM9 or CM9 is pert near perfect IMHO. YMMV.
    I am a Pocket gun enthusiast for 10 years ever since the LCP came out. Have owned 4 of them, own others, I hear big gun, big post like yours all the time. Actually, with all due respect, your knowledge of Pocket guns is very lol, shall we say "Small". Lol, you put your quote "I have been a shooter for over 45 years" is a joke. I have been one as well. So What??? Were you shooting pocket guns 5 decades ago??
    Every time you speak of the woes of the 380 just shows a blatant ignorance. A total lack of Knowledge. You are wrong on every account you post. No, they do not have any more problems than any other guns. I know.I own many firearms of different calibers. You make a disparaging comment of such nonsense as "Purchase at your own Risk" Lol, Smug, uniformed quote for sure. Pocket guns serve a purpose, not many folks work or live in a world where they can go to a business meeting with a 45 strapped to their side. Many people do not want to take a small jaunt to the 7/11 for a container of milk and go and strap on a 36oz 45. I would bet a dollar to a doughnut that you cannot even draw a 380 pocket gun with any skill. Oh, yes, it requires you to get off the sofa and train. They require diligent training. They require a certain skill set. Shoot a 380 well, and you most likely shoot bigger calibers well.
    You Sir with all due respect seem like a man lost in a forgotten time zone. A man that has been shooting for 5 decades that just cannot, or will not conform to anything new. A real man carries a 45 Colt, all the time. Probably have John Wayne posters scattered throughout your house. Real men drink "Big Gulps" and order a large Fries from Mcdonalds.
    Ballistics? You might want to study them closely. I see you love the 45. and reluctantly advise 9mm. Yet you seem to know nothing about the 380? You dismiss it.Lol, your comment about the intelligence of a 380 owner was laughable. Oh, I could go crude like yourself, but will take a higher stand. You do not want or like a pocket pistol? Change is tough. We all want to go back in time. The 380 at close range is a effective cartridge. It serves a purpose and improving all the time. Just like the 9mm, which is the standard with the Military and Police. Problems with small guns? BS!!! I own two Pocket guns that run like champs.

I don't think most of your comments should be directed to b4.
    Many of the comments could be directed to me although I never mentioned them in this thread. I do have John Wayne posters, I do carry a 45, I seldom go to 7/11 and never buy milk.
    Some of the comments could be directed to a few others as I recall some post mentioning the things under blatant ignorance.

All good but I think this horse is plumb rode down and we need to start over. That plus I haven't closed a thread in ages and I need to see if I remember how to do it.

Have a pleasant evening and a better tomorrow.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."