Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Found solution to FTF and failure to return to battery on CW 380

Default Found solution to FTF and failure to return to battery on CW 380

Bought a CW 380 in December, I shot 200 rounds through it in the first couple outings, 100 rounds of Remington and 100 of Fiocchi. The Fiocchi was terrible, it fell short of battery about 90% of the time, the Remington ran "better" but still failed at least 30% of the time. The problem seemed to be the extractor, when the round was at an angle going into the chamber it was binding on the hook of the extractor, the Fiocchi rims were .015" thicker than the Remingtons and both were gouged from the extractor. Originally I tried simply deburring and softening the sharp corners on the extractor, this defiantly helped but failure to return to battery was still a huge problem. I wanted to try adding a little more clearance between the breech face and extractor hook but the extractor was already pretty minimal so I didn't want to machine anything off the hook, and removing material from the breech face is not an option, after some thought (and buying a spare extractor!) I decided to remove some material off of the front of the pin located at the rear of the extractor which would allow the extractor to move forward. I removed about .015" of material and I am happy to report that after 100 rounds (50 Fiocchi and 50 Remingtons) I had zero, thats right ZERO FTF and failure to return to battery! Just a lack of clearance, the gap between the extractor hook and breech face was too tight to allow the shell to tip in as it was stripped from the mag on it's way into the chamber. I still need a full range trip with a couple hundred rounds to be sure but going from such a high failure rate to zero I'm pretty sure I can call this thing fixed.

Thanks for the post. Good diagnostics.

good post. Hope the Kahr engineers are reading this.
    ​O|||||||O

The round lug on the back of the extractor?
    Bad decisions make good stories...

Quote Originally Posted by TennSCN View Post
    The round lug on the back of the extractor?

Yes, you remove material from the front side of the round lug. This allows the extractor to move forward creating more space between the hook and breech face

Have a picture? It would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tigman250 View Post
    Yes, you remove material from the front side of the round lug. This allows the extractor to move forward creating more space between the hook and breech face

Nice job on your fix tigman! Please let us know how it works after some more testing.

Fiocchi has been a known issue for most people in their Kahr 380's. I sorted out all my Fiocchi brass before I even fired any of my reloads in my CW380. It has run 100% with the mixed headstamp brass from all the other manufactures, but your mod sounds like a easy fix for the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1 View Post
    Have a picture? It would be helpful.
    I knew I was going to get spanked for not including a picture, lets just say I am better at trouble shooting mechanical things than navigating forums. I will post up some pictures when I figure out how, I have not used a file sharing site in probably 10 years and all the ones I use either are no longer around or are pay sites and I don't care to do a paid membership to post 2 pictures a year haha! It will be later today or tomorrow.....

Quote Originally Posted by tigman250 View Post
    I knew I was going to get spanked for not including a picture, lets just say I am better at trouble shooting mechanical things than navigating forums. I will post up some pictures when I figure out how, I have not used a file sharing site in probably 10 years and all the ones I use either are no longer around or are pay sites and I don't care to do a paid membership to post 2 pictures a year haha! It will be later today or tomorrow.....
    Thanks very much for this thread.

I'm mechanically challenged so I'd really like to see the pix. If you have a smart phone, you can take pictures with that and use Tapatalk to access KahrTalk. Makes it really easy to upload pictures directly from the phone to the forum. If not, load the photos from the camera onto your computer. Then, when drafting your post or reply, click on the picture frame thingy in the top margin of the draft. You have to navigate to where the picture is on your drive, and remember to click "upload" after you select the picture file and before you post, but it works fine.

Please, when you next test the CW380 out, try using a seven round spare mag (if you have one) fully loaded with a round already in the chamber. From what I've read here recently that seems to be the acid test. I just tried it and did have a couple of problems which I didn't experience otherwise (I have the same gun bought at the same time). If that works, (and if you'll clue us how you removed the material) I'll give it a try. Otherwise, gun's new and I don't have your mechanical skills so I'm just sending it in.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

The Fiocchi ammo is also longer than most fmj ammo......................................