Xssights   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Found solution to FTF and failure to return to battery on CW 380

and to think I thought taptalk was just an annoying pop up, here is the pic, it's my first time posting with taptalk so if something goes haywire please be gentle!

I have some diamond coated stones that I used to remove the material, I didnt check it to see if it was hard or not or if a file would cut it or not. Beginning dimension was .115" and because the Fiocchi were .015" thicker that was the amount I decided to start with, my pin now measures .100" from front to back (from the area where the pen is pointing to the opposite side). I tried to get a pucture at the point that it used to hang up but no matter how much I rode the slide forward I couldn't get it to stop anymore. I do need to put more shots down range but because of the dramatic difference in performance (zero failures from 90% failures) and the fact that the slide now chambers effortlessly I'm pretty confident it's fixed. I have not shot it with a extended mag, I bought it for deep concealment so all the spare mags I have are 6 round so I can't test that theory out for you but like I just said I'm pretty confident its fixed. If anyone needs any more photos let me know.

Kahr, if you are hiring for R&D let me know LOL!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got my cw45 at kahr right now for a failure to feed issue. I'm pretty convinced that the problem is the extractor. It might be something like yours. Thanks for the great post!

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Thanks very much. Good post
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

I am calling this a 100% fix for the FTF, extraction and out of battery stuff that was affecting my CW380. I have a couple hundred more rounds through it with ZERO failures of any kind.

here is a recap for those that don't care to wade through my previous babbling and in case I forgot to mention anything previously. The Fiocchi ammo would not run at all, probably 90% failure. The Remington was better but still had 10 maybe 20% failure. Because the problem was obviously ammo related I began measuring all the differences between all the 380 ammo I could get my hands on. The biggest thing I noticed was the Fiocchi rim was .015" thicker than all the other ammo, (I originally blamed the issue with short battery on the funny ring Fiocchi has rolled in the middle of their brass.....oops) I began to hand cycle the different rounds through the gun and realized the problem was really with all ammo and it occurred when the round was trying to slide up under the extractor, so I turned my attention to it and it's components. I then noticed that even when you forced the slide closed on a Fiocchi the extractor stuck out farther than on other brands of ammo (this is when I started measuring rim thickness) the extractor was not able to get a hold on the brass because it was too thick, this defiantly explained why the gun would not extract Fiocchi ammo LOL! Because the extractor was so tight to the breech face the round didn't have enough room to tip up behind it out of the mag creating a binding situation which explains the difficulty getting it into battery. By removing the .015" off of the extractor pin that allowed the extractor .015" more clearance between it and the breech face giving even the chubby Fiocchi the room it needs to tip up and allow the gun to complete it's cycle trouble free. Hope this info is able to help someone else out!

Excellent post. Thanks OP for the info.

OT

Very insightful. Thank you.

Good news... I wonder ....does Kahr have a rep on this forum? If not, perhaps someone could shoot them a link to this fix.

And thanks for the info on Tapatalk......I thought it was just an app designed to frustrate old men so they would throw away their cell phones.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Thanks for linking this thread muggsy....tagged!
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Quote Originally Posted by tigman250 View Post
    I am calling this a 100% fix for the FTF, extraction and out of battery stuff that was affecting my CW380. I have a couple hundred more rounds through it with ZERO failures of any kind.

here is a recap for those that don't care to wade through my previous babbling and in case I forgot to mention anything previously. The Fiocchi ammo would not run at all, probably 90% failure. The Remington was better but still had 10 maybe 20% failure. Because the problem was obviously ammo related I began measuring all the differences between all the 380 ammo I could get my hands on. The biggest thing I noticed was the Fiocchi rim was .015" thicker than all the other ammo, (I originally blamed the issue with short battery on the funny ring Fiocchi has rolled in the middle of their brass.....oops) I began to hand cycle the different rounds through the gun and realized the problem was really with all ammo and it occurred when the round was trying to slide up under the extractor, so I turned my attention to it and it's components. I then noticed that even when you forced the slide closed on a Fiocchi the extractor stuck out farther than on other brands of ammo (this is when I started measuring rim thickness) the extractor was not able to get a hold on the brass because it was too thick, this defiantly explained why the gun would not extract Fiocchi ammo LOL! Because the extractor was so tight to the breech face the round didn't have enough room to tip up behind it out of the mag creating a binding situation which explains the difficulty getting it into battery. By removing the .015" off of the extractor pin that allowed the extractor .015" more clearance between it and the breech face giving even the chubby Fiocchi the room it needs to tip up and allow the gun to complete it's cycle trouble free. Hope this info is able to help someone else out!
    I used the search box for "return to battery and found this thread. I could not of hoped to find a better post than this. I am having the exact same problems with my CW380 including the Fiocchi business. I read this whole thread yesterday then ordered a new extractor, rods and spring from Kahr. When they get here I am going to follow your instructions and grind the post on the extractor. Sounds like an easy fix. Thanks for sharing. You have to be pretty pistol wise to see stuff like that.

I had this exact same problem on my CW9. I found another member here who fixed his, so I did the same repair to mine and it worked perfectly. It is a different repair than what you did. I ground some length off of the pin that is part of the extractor spring group. There are two pins, one in front of the spring and one to the rear of the spring. We ground some material off of the rear pin. I think we all effectively did the same thing but in different ways. We reduced some pressure from the extractor spring, which allows the slide to close easier. My CW9 now goes fully into battery, even when slowly closed by hand. No failures of any kind ever since.

Here is a quote from his repair

• "KP9093A. Extractor spring measured 64 OZ. Shortened rear extractor pin 0.045" .
      Extractor tension is now 32Oz. and pistol feeds perfectly. no problems after 500 + rounds".