Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Found solution to FTF and failure to return to battery on CW 380

Quote Originally Posted by topgun1953 View Post
    I emailed Jay a couple weeks ago and specifically asked about this. His response was that it has indeed, been redesigned to allow for better feeding.
    Any idea when the change occurred? I bought my new extractor from Midway late last year, and as I mentioned above the pistol still doesn't like Fiocchi. If the change was made recently made then we all still run the risk of getting older stock if we order a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    Any idea when the change occurred? I bought my new extractor from Midway late last year, and as I mentioned above the pistol still doesn't like Fiocchi. If the change was made recently made then we all still run the risk of getting older stock if we order a new one.
    No, I'm not sure. I only asked because of the interest in this thread. The only mention of the updated extractor was by jtsmall earlier in this thread back in 11/16. If I were to order one, I'd try to talk to a human to make sure you get the latest and greatest. My P380 has been great for some time now...500 rnds or so. I took some length off of the rear extractor pin months ago. I don't try to run Fiocchi though 😃😃
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

A couple of 1911 gunsmiths have told me in the past that the wrong extractor tension can cause failure to feed or extract. In the below video at about 2:30 it talks about it. The video also shows how they measure the tension. The second link shows a extractor tension guage set they use in the video. The extractor in the Kahr pistol is adjusted by shortening the rear pin behind the extractor spring, like previously mentioned in a post earlier. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3nnqKKWk2ig http://www.jackweigand.com/etg.html

I forgot to add, I was told about 2lbs tension for a 9mm and about 2 1/2 lbs for the .40.

I made an account just for this post.

I picked up my brand new CW380 today and brought it home. Sure enough, it refused to chamber even one round of Perfecta .380 when dropping the slide from the locked position. Which sucks, because I just cleaned out my local Walmart's supply for $5 a box and I was wanting a nice pistol to shoot it out of.

I performed the modification described in the OP and, though I ended up taking off a little over .020" of material, I successfully got it to the point where Perfecta .380 chambers smoothly on every try. Night and day difference. I did the job with a basic file and some sandpaper for a final smoothing. I used a set of digital calipers to monitor my progress. Anyone remotely handy could do it. OP really knocked it out of the park with this tip. Thanks a ton!

Ark,
    Welcome to the forum!
    Thanks for providing your feedback on tigman250's extractor mod
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

The P380 has the exact same problem. I have both a P380 and CW380. I am going to perform the mod to the extractor of the CW380 first, but if it works, it'll be done to the P380 as well. I had resigned myself that they are just ammo picky, and both of mine love PPU FMJ and Gold Dot JHP, so I was good with that, but it would be nice to be able to shoot a wider variety of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by jtsmall View Post
    For a while the second factory trip resulted in no failures, but alas, nose diving into the feeding ramp eventually returned as before. I do believe the fix as noted by the OP will work but cannot bring myself to fix what Kahr has delivered - especially for a EDC or self defense weapon.

I suggest watching this video that I stumbled across tonight ...
    https://youtu.be/JwrBbUQze2k
    The solution offered by this fix is in line with the OP here. My thinking is that the CW380 MIM extractor has a QC issue compared to the more exacting CNC extractor for the P380.

Bottom line, I think it's a crap shoot either way but it seems that this failure mode is more likely with the CW series as compared to the P series. So you pays your money and rolls the dice.

I'm contacting Kahr a third time about this issue. I don't see it as my responsibility to do this fix. Nor do I trust my copy of the CW380 for EDC ever anyway, either way.

-jts

Sent from my Samsung Chromebook Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    I am relatively new to the CW380 and experimenting with different range loads. Fortunately this gun loves Freedom Munitions reloads. Runs them like a champ.. It will not accept Fiocchi linea RN at 9.64 but will have no problem with the Freedom at Round nose Flat point which is shorter. Yet will accept the Hornady CD FX which is the same size as the Fiocchi, The FX has a rn but more of a flat point.

Regardless, I have a long way to go to make sure this gun is CCW safe. Notice the difference in potential AOL from SAMMI.

.910 to Max at .984

And once again a 9mm Tula Brass Max in a case gauge. I just ordered a gauge for the 380 for $20.00 from Amazon. I certainly am no expert in this. Really just guessing what the heck goes on with this gun and ammo. AOL, Bullet shape, etc.

Your gun barrel is the ultimate case gage for the plunk test.
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

Post deleted
    Last edited by King Rat; 08-03-2017 at 02:53 PM.

It also might be a good time to up the caliber, and quit beating an already dead horse. Anyone reading this stuff would, if they had half a brain, never fool with a .380 period. Who has this kind of time and money to fool with these guns. They're small, and that's all. Purchase a firearm that actually works all of the time. They are out there you know. This .380 crap takes up the whole site. Thankfully, there are 9mm, .40 cal. and .45 cal. that run like Swiss watches. Also thankfully, there are other topics besides "my .380 works like s#!t", or "my .380 doesn't like any ammo."