Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Xssights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A new CW-9 or a used P-9

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A new CW-9 or a used P-9

I'm trying to decide on a new CW-9 or a used P-9. I have a limited budget and am looking to purchase my first Kahr as a ccw. Also has the design and trigger pull been consistent on these or have there been changes in the last few years. I'm leaning toward the new CW-9 for my budget but like the black version of the p-9 with night sights.

I went went and dry fired both at a local dealer and the trigger pull was incredibly smooth but he tried to tell me that they were much stiffer a couple of years ago. I am also considering purchasing one I saw online but it is listed as new old stock so I was concerned their may have been some changes in these.

I have been away from guns for a while and just getting back in the game so any help you can be in bringing me up to speed would be greatly appreciated.

There hasn't been any real change in the triggers. There's a stigma attached to Kahrs related to the old NYPD trigger that seems to follow the kahr brand around. In reality the trigger isn't all that bad even on the NYPD guns, a bit longer travel and a bit heavier.

Doubtful you'd encounter that in any of the guns you mention. Certainly not a deal breaker even if it were.

All things being relatively equal I tend to lean towards new versus used as well but at the same time you know what you want and if used can get you some of those things at a doable price that's not a bad thing either.

Might start on a plus's and minus's list, pro's and con's.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

In general, I'm a big fan of used guns. You typically get more for your money. But a new C-value-series Kahr is usually cheaper than a used P-series. So unless you really want all-black or any of the other P-series upgrades, a new C is the way to go. There is no difference in build quality between the two series.

+1 all of the (no manual safety) triggers have been the same for a long time. Some very old K9s had the NYPD trigger but all the others are the same. Kahr does make a manual safety/loaded chamber indicator model that has a 1/8 inch shorter travel.

Welcome.
    ​O|||||||O

You might investigate the problem others have had with the CW9's magazine follower. It may have been fixed by now, but I've read about as causing serious jams.

Quote Originally Posted by laocmo View Post
    You might investigate the problem others have had with the CW9's magazine follower. It may have been fixed by now, but I've read about as causing serious jams.
    There are plenty of smart, helpful Kahrtalk members to help you through the rare problem. So I wouldn't worry too much about that. Anyone who follows the prep stickies in the New Member forum will have a huge head start.

Welcome laocmo.
    ​O|||||||O

My EDC is a P9 because at the time I bought mine there was no CW9 in fact the P had just came out. All Kahrs are tight and the earlier ones were sometimes a little too tight and took some polishing before that chamber block would disengage from the slide reliably. The only difference is that the P9 has the polygonal barrel, more finishing on the slide and the free wheeling slide stop pin. If I was buying today, considering the cost difference, I would probably be looking at the CW9. My original has the flat nose (as opposed to the newer contoured one). BTW I've never had an issue with the magazine follower. Good luck, you will enjoy either.

Welcome to the forum.

If you want the black slide get the P9. Otherwise get the cw9 in the rare case it needs something.

I bought a cw9 5 years ago, traded it for a cm9 when they came out (mistake, I should have kept both), and bought a ct9 this year and its a sweet shooter. I have NEVER had any problem with my 9mm Kahrs. The .45s took somd breakin but its all good.

You won't have a problem with the cw9 and probably not the P9.
    Last edited by yqtszhj; 08-21-2015 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Add content
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

The only thing that I haven't seen covered is the difference in the sights. The P9 has a dovetail on both the front and rear sight. The front sight on the CW9 is pinned. There are a few more sight options for the P9 (the truglow TFX is the first that comes to my mind) but the sights are more difficult to change on the P9 than the CW9. Night sights are available for either.

I would probably buy the CW9 unless I found a screaming deal on a P9.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

I really appreciate all the thoughtful responses to this. Nice forum you all have here. I think I'm going to really like it here. 25 years ago I was an NRA certified law enforcement firearms instructor who had moved away from guns for the most part. Back then I was a Sig 226 and a S&W model 19 guy. I find myself looking for a decent value on a good reliable concealment weapon. I suspect I may ad a cm9 or a pm9 down the road sometime for an even more concealable carry weapon.

Pluses to a new CW9 are new gun, value priced, 5 yr warranty. I can find them for around $375 at my local Cabelas including the mail in rebate for a second magazine.
    Minuses to the CW9 are stainless vs black slide. Front sight pinned and limited options for night sights ( I loved my siglite night sites on my old 226)

Pluses to the used P9 black slide (It was drilled into me years ago that a shiny gun made a better target), more sight options.
    Minuses to the used P9 is that it is a used gun with no warranty, unknown history of how the gun was cared for or used.

I'm leaning toward the new cw-9 but would gladly entertain other opinions.

I looked at the bronze cerakote cw-9 but may be too much focused on the whole stainless vs black. My brother in law said the advantage to the stainless is it won't rust from body oils but I've never experienced that in a blued gun I've owned.

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by charliebeagledog View Post
    My brother in law said the advantage to the stainless is it won't rust from body oils but I've never experienced that in a blued gun I've owned.
    The P9 black is also stainless under the black coating, so don't let the corrosion element sway you.
    I carry a CW9 and I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. I understand the idea of stainless being more visible, but mine won't be visible unless it's out of the holster, and then it's not likely that any event would last more than a few seconds. It's also matte stainless, not polished, so it probably won't be drawing attention with a glare when drawn.
    If your choice is between CW9 and used P9, simple question: are the upgraded features (black slide, polygonal rifling, better sight options) is worth the tradeoff of no warranty and no knowledge of how the previous owner treated the gun.
    You'd probably be fine with the P9. Me....I like to have a warranty. Just the way I am.
    If you find a decent deal on the used P9, cost is probably about the same. You'll love either one.