Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crushed striker block spring

Default Crushed striker block spring

I searched and couldn't find anything on this problem. While dry firing my CM9 the sound of the striker became muffled all of the sudden. When I stripped the slide I found the striker block to be stuck in the depressed position and when I removed it the spring was completely crushed.

I ordered a new spring but I'm curious what may have caused this. Perhaps it wasn't seated properly from the last time the slide was reassembled? I keep my guns clean and I have between 500 and 1,000 rounds through this all stock two and a half year old pistol with 0 malfunctions. Thanks.

Sure never seen nothing like that before. I can't see how the heck it could have happened.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Just curious, what exactly did you disassemble? Did you mean a basic disassembly or did you remove the Striker. If the latter it seems maybe it wasn't reassembled correctly.

The striker has been removed in the past (detail strip) and I would tend to agree with you that it must not have been reassembled correctly. Exactly how it was incorrectly reassembled I do not know because it's a fairly straight forward process.

And this is the striker block spring, not the striker spring itself which is on a guide rod?

I'm baffled.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

That's correct, the striker block spring is what got crushed, everything else is fine. I guess the lesson here is be careful if you mess with it.

I'm leaning toward assembly error though not necessarily your fault. Doo doo happens. At least you broke an inexpensive part.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

You should always test the striker block for proper operation before putting the slide back on the frame. It should spring out when you depress and release it... and it should keep the striker from going forward until depressed.

I have a lot of spare parts, but probably not one of those springs... tiny and easy to lose!

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I dunno how it could be mis-assembled, yet work for a while, then fail. I cannot imagine the orientation of the parts that would allow that. I can see the spring being all stretched to one side or such and failing, but not working ever.

Could this be a crud issue?

And I ageee, in the time I've been visiting KahrTalk, I have no recall of this issue

Something just ain't right. It's a simple little hole with a simple little spring, I can't see anything to bugger up that spring like that.

If there was crud in there it would be obvious and I doubt anyone would ignore it.

I seldom take mine down that far. I do the rattle test each cleaning. I depress that striker block and shake the slide to hear the striker moving back and forth, if it rattles good to go, if not you got crud to clean out.
    I do this even more with Glocks.

I'm just not grasping this. You sure your dog didn't get hold of it an chew up, that ain't likely, it's so small he would of swallad it.

I shall continue pondering. Might tear mine down again to see if a light bulb goes off, I am usually a bit dim though so probably won't be much help.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan