Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CM40 Owner FTF Issues - Advice?

Default New CM40 Owner FTF Issues - Advice?

Hey Folks. New forum member, new Kahr owner, first post here. I've searched previous posts on this topic and didn't find any slam-dunk answers, so I'm still in search of some insight/advice if anyone's got it.

About two months ago I rented a CM9 at the range and loved it. Put 50 rounds of Federal range ammo through it and it performed perfectly. Saw a great price on a (new) CM40 and snapped it up based on that experience.

And holy heck has this been an unreliable gun. I put 100 rounds through it the first day and got at least one FTF in every magazine. Figuring maybe it just really needed the full recommended a break-in, I disassembled, cleaned, and lubed it, then put another 150 rounds through it, using 5 different types of ammo. It got a little better, but not much.

So I called Kahr figuring it was a dud, and the rep on the phone informed me that I should never chamber the first round into a Kahr by racking the slide; only by locking the slide back, putting a loaded clip in, and then pressing the slide release to snap it shut and chamber the first round. "Great!" I said. "It's just User Error! Thanks for the tip!"

Another 150 rounds later, following his instructions, the same problem persists. And, come to think of it, I never had to do any special voodoo to the CM9 rental when I tried it out; it worked like every other auto I'd ever shot, and I always rack the slide by hand.

Specifically, it seems like the slide on the CM40 hangs up before it can return fully to its forward/loaded position. Sometimes it sticks all the way open between shots; other times it comes to rest 1/4" or so short of being fully closed, and if I just press forward on the back of the slide with my thumb, it closes, chambers, and shoots the next round normally. For what it's worth, it shoots decent groups at 10 yards (when it shoots).

So, questions for you guys:

A.) Has anyone heard of Kahrs being picky about racking the slide by hand, or was that something the rep said just to get me off the phone?
    B.) Has anyone heard of this particular problem with the CM40 - that of the slide not closing fully? It seems like most of the FTF issues with the CM40 have more to do with the extractor, or the cartridge getting lodged in the chamber at the wrong angle. I've not had either of those issues so far.
    C.) Is it worth screwing around with buying a new magazine, putting even more rounds through it, etc.? Or should I just insist on getting an RMA?

Any help/advice is appreciated. Sorry for the long read. Thanks!

-Victor

A. Yes. Kahr's manual recommends locking the slide back and chambering a round by pressing the slide release.

B. I had this problem with a CW380. Sent it back but Kahr was not able to eliminate the problem. I got rid of it.

C. Insist on an RMA.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

"Specifically, it seems like the slide on the CM40 hangs up before it can return fully to its forward/loaded position. Sometimes it sticks all the way open between shots; other times it comes to rest 1/4" or so short of being fully closed, and if I just press forward on the back of the slide with my thumb, it closes, chambers, and shoots the next round normally."

Its hard to determine what is going on without seeing the pistol. From your words I am going to assume that my CM40 behaved similarly when it was new. My problem turned out to be a weak recoil spring assembly that lacked the strength to lock the slide. Looking through this site I found a message with the factory length specification. When compared my assembly was too short. The factory replaced it fixing the problem. I'm not sure your problem is the same, but its a place to start.

It sounds like there is something pushing the slide release up before the mag is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by FelixD View Post
    "Specifically, it seems like the slide on the CM40 hangs up before it can return fully to its forward/loaded position. Sometimes it sticks all the way open between shots; other times it comes to rest 1/4" or so short of being fully closed, and if I just press forward on the back of the slide with my thumb, it closes, chambers, and shoots the next round normally."

Its hard to determine what is going on without seeing the pistol. From your words I am going to assume that my CM40 behaved similarly when it was new. My problem turned out to be a weak recoil spring assembly that lacked the strength to lock the slide. Looking through this site I found a message with the factory length specification. When compared my assembly was too short. The factory replaced it fixing the problem. I'm not sure your problem is the same, but its a place to start.
    I also had similar issues with my PM40. Although I never checked spring length, my PM40 was noticeably easier to rack out of the box than my PM9, and the PM9 had about 400-500 rounds through it at the time.

Swapped out the recoil spring assembly and my PM40 has been perfect since. 400 frustrating rounds before, nearly 600 flawless since.

Good luck.

Well, I got an RMA# and will be shipping the pistol back to Kahr for service. I'm not thrilled about paying for overnight shipping out of my own pocket but what can you do I guess. I'll report back with the results.

New gun with warranty & you are paying shipping? You might want to call Kahr again & discuss how they should pay shipping.

Update: Kahr emailed me a pre-paid shipping label for FedEx overnight.

I have a cm 40 and have had to return it 3 or 4 times .
    Shot it today and it still hung up one time.

Update: received the CM40 back from Kahr today via FedEx. I found it kind of strange that, while they emailed me to confirm receipt of the pistol, they never emailed to let me know they were sending it back.

Included with the pistol was a work order showing that they had replaced the recoil spring, guide rod, and barrel, and put 26 rounds through it with no issues.

I probably can't get to the range for about a week to check it out, but I'll post a follow-up when I do.