Xssights   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Muzzle Loader Advice

Question Muzzle Loader Advice

************ old thread --- you may want to skip to post 56 for today's update **************

OK. Still pondering over the next new hobby. I got a bucket list a mile long . One of my choices is to buy a muzzle loader. I'm leaning towards an old-fashioned cap and ball type vs. the new-fangled in-lines as I'm really just into it for the hobby experience. And what about flint-locks?

Anyone have any specific rifles they truly love or recommend? Are any hands-down better than the others? I trust youse guys way more than all them interwebbers out there.

Thanks!
    Last edited by b4uqzme; 04-05-2015 at 06:20 PM. Reason: update
    ​O|||||||O

To me especially for a newcomer cap and ball is the way to go. Enough of a learning curve by itself without dealing with flint and priming compound and shooting technique.

I think Thompson Center still has a very good rep for front loaders, I have a Renegade model, 54 cal. I've had for probably 30 years, been pondering breaking it out and shooting it this summer, hasn't been out in quite a long time.

Also been thinking of getting some sort of small caliber front stuffer. A squirrel rifle so to speak, maybe 36 cal or so.

There's a lot of good ones out there and black powder is a lot more forgiving in some respects like power but less forgiving in other respects like powder storage etc.

You've renewed my desire to get mine out again. They are a lot of fun and you can shoot all day long pretty cheap too.

I got a 50 too, marketed by Sears I think, never shot that one yet, might have to do that too.

And bless you for turning your nose up at those new fangled inlines. They ain't muzzle stuffers for real no how.
    Our ancestors would have turned their noses up at those too. But probably would have bought one anyhow for speed and ease of use.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

b4, your quandary reminds me of an old Bellamy Brothers song. "Should he hang on to the old; should he grab on to the new...."

I think the answer to your question lies in your reason for wanting to own a muzzle loader. If you are motivated by an interest in historical firearms, then an in-line is not for you. However, if your motivation is to extend deer season by owning a front-stuffer, and you have little passion for the historical perspective, by all means buy a modern muzzle loading rifle.

PS: Years ago, some states had restrictions on the type of muzzle loading rifles they allowed during hunting season. If your reason for owning one of these is to hunt, you may want to check-out laws in your jurisdiction.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

Nah, Bambi is safe around me. I saw a Thompson Center Trader (?) on a clearance rack and was wondering if that's a good choice. I'll have to go back and refresh my memory. I went online and the Lymans looked pretty good too. But is there some obscure brand that I'm missing?
    ​O|||||||O

Check out Track of the Wolf's website. They have some high end stuff but mostly a lot of the other stuff that goes with it.

Lyman's I have seen were nice too. There's just a ton of choices out there, many we probably aren't even aware of and a huge range in price too.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

You may want to check out Knights muzzle loaders.............made in America.......................and like Elmer Fudd used to say..................." be vewy vewy carefuw."

I think I'll actually move forward on this one. Been doing a lot of internet scouring and I'm 99% set on getting a Lyman Trade Rifle caplock. Seems a reasonable choice for a newbie. I'd rather go new so I can be sure that it's my fault should I have any failures. And it seems like you get a lot for the money. Ships right to your house which is pretty cool. No FFL fees.

I'm finding mixed info on rifling twist rate. Mostly it looks like this 1/48 twist will be a good compromise for both ball and conicals. Agreed?

http://muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/lyman/trade-rifle.php
    ​O|||||||O

That looks like an excellent choice to me. Looks very much like my Thompson Renegade.

The beauty of these as opposed to some is you can just tap out the barrel wedge and remove the barrel from the stock, quick and easy. Then you can just take the barrel in the bathtub with you and swab er out real good with soap and water. Dry er off, oil er some and you don't have to worry about getting the wood and other furniture wet.

Best to do this when the missus ain't around, it stinks something fierce and leaves a hell of a bathtub ring.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

I much prefer the side lock percussion rifle with open sights over the scoped in lines. Just more fun in my opinion. I have a T/C PA Hunter slow twist in .50 cal.

If you're not going to hunt with the rifle then .50 cal is a very good choice. Now a .50 will get er done on deer size game but if I had to do it over again I would have gotten a .54. For most of my shooting fun and practice I use patched round ball (PRB) but for deer I load my PA Hunter with a 240 grain Hornady PA Conical. If I had a .54 I'd just stick to PRB.

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I used Maxi Balls (speer I think) in my 54. Put em in a pop can at 100 yards pretty easy. I never tried PRB but always figured I'd give it try, never got round to it yet.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan