Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kahr Barrel Polish Mod

I'm with PMO on this one. I think you can do just fine with a clean cloth by hand vs. using a wheel. A wheel is gonna cause a lot of heat and that might lead to a little metal loss IMHO. But probably nano-metal either way. Funny, I did this to both my steel Kahrs but left the CM45 alone. The matte finish on the CM barrel seems to be holding up real well and looks very good just as it is.

And yes Muggsy, looks do matter. Just ask my wife!
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I never owned a suit. Pissed my pants a few times though.
    Haha!

Metal loss. See the black stuff on the rag or wheel? Thats your nickel plating. Try putting it back on.

We've seen polished chambers that had the plating wear through.

The plating serves a few purposes. As Mr. Muggsy said, its there for anti galling. Its also there to fight corrosion, and its there to hold lube, Sort of an all in one general fix sort of plating. The stainless slide and carbon steel barrel may or may not gall, but stainless tends to gall more easily if given a chance. The nickle isn't too thick, but it gets the job done.

All that I can say is that you are a man of great intelligence, CJB. I appreciate the back-up.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    I'm with PMO on this one. I think you can do just fine with a clean cloth by hand vs. using a wheel. A wheel is gonna cause a lot of heat and that might lead to a little metal loss IMHO. But probably nano-metal either way. Funny, I did this to both my steel Kahrs but left the CM45 alone. The matte finish on the CM barrel seems to be holding up real well and looks very good just as it is.

And yes Muggsy, looks do matter. Just ask my wife!
    You wife must be far sighted, B4uqzme. My wife married me for my vast wealth.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Kahr went to a lot of trouble and didn't spare any expense to nickel plate the barrels. I can't think of a single U.S. company that does anything that they don't feel is necessary when making their products. The plating on a Kahr Barrel is between .0003 and .0005. That's about half the thickness of an RCH. Don't polish too, hard.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    You wife must be far sighted, B4uqzme. My wife married me for my vast wealth.
    Vast sumpin'.
    ​O|||||||O

Kahr went to a lot of trouble and didn't spare any expense to nickel plate the barrels. I can't think of a single U.S. company that does anything that they don't feel is necessary when making their products. The plating on a Kahr Barrel is between .0003 and .0005. That's about half the thickness of an RCH. Don't polish too, hard.
    I hear ya muggsy and good advice. I saw a Yankee Marshal vid where he takes the dremel to it and I really don't advise that either. I really just shine mine a bit with a soft cloth and some polish. It's nowhere near a "mirror" finish but it looks good enough to me.
    ​O|||||||O

The barrel is the most expensive part of the gun. I don't do anything to mine but, clean and lube it. That's all that that's necessary. I can't see where polishing the barrel improves the performance of the gun in the least. It's just cosmetic. To each his own.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

The barrel is the most expensive part of the gun. I don't do anything to mine but, clean and lube it. That's all that that's necessary. I can't see where polishing the barrel improves the performance of the gun in the least. It's just cosmetic. To each his own.
    Definitely cosmetic. I liked how it looked on various guns that had it done, was bored, so I did it.