Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kahr Barrel Polish Mod

I had one of the older square nose pm9's, I know for a fact it did not have the same nickel finish my new pm9 has. I was just a matte grey color and it buffed off really easily. So, maybe the nickel finish is not as important as some want to believe.

Yer right Diablo53, Kahr probably just nickle plated the barrel to give those who are bored something to polish off. That make sense to even me.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Default Kahr Barrel Polish Mod

To be honest I can't say I'm likely to go to the trouble of making a concealed Kahr pretty, but I do enjoy the vids because they're well done -quick, with no rambling or bs.
    Last edited by SlowBurn; 03-05-2015 at 06:11 PM.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

^^^ not me baby. I want my guns looking their best. Momma also taught me to wear clean underwear...just in case.
    ​O|||||||O

I want my guns performing at their best. I don't wear underwear. I'm out there and loving every minute of it.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    Yer right Diablo53, Kahr probably just nickle plated the barrel to give those who are bored something to polish off. That make sense to even me.
    Why you hatin'?

People have been polishing guns since inception. It's not a big deal, and did no damage. Have you never seen all the high end guns out there with high polish barrels? They don't seem to have any issues "holding lube". Way I see it, a smoother surface needs less lube to run right.

Folks who have dealt with plating, who have dealt with split .001's of an inch, and who don't through out the "a few thousandths" label without first having a real clear idea of what those few thousandths are, and what a few ten-thousandths are, also know that the plating is only so thick, and when you remove some, it is less thick.

Allowing the mechanism, with its manufacturing tolerances, to decide what areas to rub smooth, seems the right thing to do.

I have no idea what folks don't realize about taking off a bit of applied coating, and the effect that has - either great or negligable. Either way, the effect is not good, its just a matter of degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mountain Outdoors View Post
    Why you hatin'?

People have been polishing guns since inception. It's not a big deal, and did no damage. Have you never seen all the high end guns out there with high polish barrels? They don't seem to have any issues "holding lube". Way I see it, a smoother surface needs less lube to run right.
    I'm not hating. I'm simply stating why Kahr went to the trouble to nickel plate their barrels and why they shouldn't be polished. I've already stated that if it's your gun, do with it what you will. You posted a video on you tube telling people to do something that IMO they shouldn't do. Some might say that you we're letting your ignorance show, but I wouldn't do that. Now, can we kiss and make up?

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    I'm not hating. I'm simply stating why Kahr went to the trouble to nickel plate their barrels and why they shouldn't be polished. I've already stated that if it's your gun, do with it what you will. You posted a video on you tube telling people to do something that IMO they shouldn't do. Some might say that you we're letting your ignorance show, but I wouldn't do that. Now, can we kiss and make up?
    Ignorance? I don't think showing how you can polish a barrel is ignorant.