CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr T9 - 300 rounds later... and the issue that started from the first empty mag

Default Kahr T9 - 300 rounds later... and the issue that started from the first empty mag

I was able to get my new T9 out to the range today, and while every single round fed, fired, and extracted without issue, with all 3 factory new magazines the slide will not lock back after firing the last round. I know there have been multiple threads regarding similar problems but I could not find much about a fix for this especially on the T series. I noticed that all 3 of the mags now have gouges along the follower that were not there before I started the break-in. I will post some pics once I get home but I am very curious to find out how to resolve this or if the "fix" will be to send the gun and magazines into Kahr for repair. The shooting experience was fantastic and I do not regret for a second getting a steel frame Kahr. The trigger is smooth and crisp, and accuracy is amazing. If anyone has ideas about how to resolve this slide not locking back issue without sending it in, please let me know.

Does it lock back when you manually rack the slide?
    Could it be a thumb on the lever situation? Shoot single handed to see if it happens.
    the small metal pin in the follower is present in all three mags I assume.

The slide lock is a real simple mechanical device. What prevents it's upward movement?
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Yes, the slide does lock back when manually cycling, with an empty mag or with snap caps. I fired the gun both 1 and 2 handed, same issue in both situations. I had also read about the "thumb on slide lock" issue on another thread so I ensured I was not touching the slide lock. I emailed Kahr and they are doing and RMA. (ugh) I was trying to avoid sending it in but if that's what it takes to fix it so be it. Maybe they can address the poor finish work on the frame and slide as well. I was thinking of ordering a stronger recoil spring and possibly some stronger mag springs like jocko has suggested in other threads but I feel like I should not have to replace parts on a brand new gun to make it function correctly.

Far be it from me to cast aspersions, but could you possibly be allowing the pistol to free recoil too, much? It sounds as though the slide isn't going back far enough for the slide stop to capture it. Firm up those wrists and try again. Weak magazine springs could be the cause of the problem. Check to see if the mag springs were installed properly. Also, check to see if the followers slide freely and that the magazines are clean inside. (That should keep him busy for awhile.)
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

It is possible that I was limp wristing, but I own half a dozen semi-autos in 9mm, .40SW and .45ACP and fire them all one and two handed. None of the others have this problem. With the weight of the T9 plus the low recoil due to design, I doubt it is the cause. I cleaned and sprayed the mags with Rem Oil before first use, and verified that the followers moved freely, but I have not checked the mag spring installation yet. If I can avoid sending it in for repair I would like to... but I'm hoping that if I do have to send it in they can address the frame finish issues as well.

I received a call from Casey at Kahr Customer Service this morning. He stated that the slide lock pin holes were misaligned during manufacture and because this could not be fixed, he used a brand new frame. He said he also replaced the barrel, polished the feed ramp and slide serrations, and refinished the slide before putting approx. 70 rounds through it with no problems. It sounds like all of my concerns have been addressed, although since I am getting a new frame, I have to pay a second FFL transfer / BGC fee. To me this is a small price to pay, although it would have been nice to not have to put out more money for an already expensive gun. All said, I am very happy with Kahr as a whole and glad they were able to resolve the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreams_of_Steel View Post
    Yes, the slide does lock back when manually cycling, with an empty mag or with snap caps. I fired the gun both 1 and 2 handed, same issue in both situations. I had also read about the "thumb on slide lock" issue on another thread so I ensured I was not touching the slide lock. I emailed Kahr and they are doing and RMA. (ugh) I was trying to avoid sending it in but if that's what it takes to fix it so be it. Maybe they can address the poor finish work on the frame and slide as well. I was thinking of ordering a stronger recoil spring and possibly some stronger mag springs like jocko has suggested in other threads but I feel like I should not have to replace parts on a brand new gun to make it function correctly.
    Interesting, my is just the opposite. Doesn't lock while racking with an empty mag, but works fine at the range.

Good to hear that there seems to be a positive solution. At least it is 70 rounds into it's 200 round break-in. Enjoy your new T9.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

I picked up another case of Magtech 9mm yesterday as well so I have plenty of break-in rounds, I am looking forward to shooting the T9 and my CW9 side by side. The T9 will be here on Wednesday according to the Kahr rep, so Thursday is gonna be a good day.

Glad they fixed it for you.