Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: no licence to conceal carry? thoughts/opinions welcome

Default no licence to conceal carry? thoughts/opinions welcome

They are trying to pass a bill in my home state (WV) which would not require someone to obtain a concealed carry permit to carry concealed..

just wanted to get all your opinion and thoughts on the matter..

link!
    http://www.wvva.com/story/28413926/2...d-carry-permit

I don't need a license to exercise any constitutional right, except for carrying a firearm what a pity

it's good to have one if you are traveling to another state. If you dont leave the state I guess it doesn't matter.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

It's all about the money. Criminals carry without a permit and it's the first charge plea bargained away in court. Why should any one need a permit to exercise a constitutional right. Our rights are supposed to be unalienable.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

^^ exactly. Rarely do I see "felon in possession" or "concealed carry without a license" or other firearms related charges on published arrests. My feeling is that we need to enforce the laws that already exist.

pwilson, the downside risk is that WV will lose its reciprocity agreements and w/o a licensing structure, will not be able to cultivate new reciprocity agreements.

My state has licensing, but without any training requirement or background check. It's basically a tax. Few states will reciprocate with us. It's probably safe to say that no state is willing to enter into reciprocity with another state whose licensing requirements are less stringent than their own. I imagine that w/o licensing, the only states that would play ball with you are other states which don't require licensing. Those are growing in number, however.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by pwilson View Post
    They are trying to pass a bill in my home state (WV) which would not require someone to obtain a concealed carry permit to carry concealed..

just wanted to get all your opinion and thoughts on the matter..

link!
    http://www.wvva.com/story/28413926/2...d-carry-permit
    Here in Arizona, our similar law has worked very well for several years. Usually, the NRA works with the state legislators to craft a bill that will not produce too many unintended side effects. Given the intellects of even well meaning politicians, this is probably a good thing.

Not needing a permit to carry concealed is great, especially if you happen to be absent minded and occasionally head out into the desert on your mountain bike . . . armed, but without your wallet. That would be me.

Yes, in the past, I could just flip up my jersey to expose the 1911 on my waistband because open carry has never required a permit here. But, now I can continue to look friendly even when my aging memory allows me to forget my wallet.

A lot of safety instructors who were offering courses when the permit was required are still doing well because many people still get permits. Now, the biggest convenience of the CCW permit is not having to wait (or pay) for background checks at your friendly local FFL when buying a firearm from an out of state seller on GunBroker or a distant dealer like Bud's Gun Shop.

In Arizona, a CCW permit also removes any concerns if you are dining in a fancy restaurant where drinks are served while you are carrying but not drinking. Life is good.

Oh, and an Arizona CCW is still honored by other states, pretty much as before, in part because we do require instruction to qualify for the permit. For people who travel, the now optional permit is probably almost a necessity.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

My concern for a person CC'n with no consequent training is ME! and maybe MINE! or BYSTANDERS! that happen to be in the area if he/she starts shooting for some reason. My minimum class training (3) has made a very definite impression on me of CC.
    cm9 and lovin it.

I don't need a license to carry concealed. I just need a lic to do it legally.

I think training is good with or without a license. But too many are too lazy...or don't get around to it...
    Last edited by b4uqzme; 03-12-2015 at 08:36 PM.
    ​O|||||||O

It wouldn't hurt to require a class on CC, and the legalities and perils of CC'ing. Plus make sure everyone has a working knowledge of a pistol. And knows Cooper's safety rules at least.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.