Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New [to me] K40 - normal slide fit?

Default New [to me] K40 - normal slide fit?

I picked up a used Kahr K40 online for around $360, I thought it was a great price on such a beautiful firearm. It came in today, and it looks great, very beautiful pistol, and no signs of wear anywhere on it. The only thing that concerns me is that it doesn't seem nearly as tightly fitted as CM and CW series I've owned before. This bothered me because I thought the K series is supposed to be a more premium line than the polymer ones. The slide doesn't seem to go all the way forward/completely flush with the frame (pictured below). If I move the gun side to side, there is also considerable slide movement/wobble - as though the slide is kinda loose on the frame. Every Kahr pistol I've previously owned have been put together so beautifully, very tight, with zero slide movement at all. Is this normal for the K series? How can I fix it?

I've stripped the firearm and given it a very detailed cleaning, reassembled and same thing. Would a new recoil spring help? ... Oh, there also seems to be a lot more play in the trigger than what I would consider normal in the polymer lines.

I can't really address the slide play, without tactile input, but the slide on my K40 seems to go forward far enough to achieve a flush state at the rear of the pistol.
    Not as close of a pic as yours, but I think you can see what I mean. I could take a better pic tomorrow if it would help.

A couple Colts, a couple Brownings, a Makarov, a Sig, a couple Rugers, a couple Kahrs, a couple Smith & Wessons, a Walther, and a couple Berettas .....Oh, and some long guns...

Both my K9 and MK9 have noticeable side play if I hold them down and work the slide side to side. Most noticeable at the rear of the slide. I thought about that and the slide to barrel is very solid. So, sights and barrel should be very consistent. The way they shoot seems to confirm that is the case. My triggers are wonderful.

I have not noticed slide play in my plastic Kahrs.

I have no play with the slide on my MK, and the trigger is soooooooooooooooooo smooth, you may equate this as play. I can stack my trigger a bit, and it's how I shoot it. I don't know what the trigger pull weight is supposed to be, but it feels like 3#

My Kahr T9 has significant slide play. Much more than any polymer Kahr I've had.

My K9 has some slide play, and the end of the slide also hangs past the frame, maybe not as much as yours. My Mk9 slide is the opposite insofar as the frame slightly overhangs the slide, and the slide play is less than that of the K9. My P9 Covert slide is flush wit the frame; however, there is considerable slide play. They all function 100%. The Polymer Covert has around 3,000 rounds through it , the MK9 a little over 1000 rounds, and the K9, over 500 rounds.

Slide play ain't necessarily a badthing. Should be Uber reliable. It won't affect aim since you aim down the slide.

Interesting. Well, I suppose the non-flush fit and slide play is "normal" for this series. I suppose it's just my OCD going into overdrive here, lol. Since my polymer framed Kahrs are all so tight and fitted perfectly, I expected the same with the higher quality stainless models. As long as it shoots! Thanks for your input!

No side play on my MK9 and slide lines up nicely...

Just checked my K40, slide is nice and tight with no play and the rear end is a nice flush fit.

Heck of a price and as long as it shoots just fine I wouldn't worry about it in the least.