CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New [to me] K40 - normal slide fit?

Just a note: I don't think Kahr did itself any favors labeling some of their guns "premium". It's been my experience that they are all of the same quality...just different.

With that said I think it might be a good idea to install a new recoil spring and to make sure it is installed correctly. That might help the slide overhang a bit. What's it look like at the muzzle? Anything sticking out too far?

P.S. How is the recoil? Too harsh? That might be an indicator that it needs a new spring too. Also, it should be a little stiff to rack. If it's pretty easy, that might be telling you that it's time to change.

P.S.S. I too can detect a little slide wobble in my steel Kahrs.
    ​O|||||||O

We have a used K40 on consignment at our store and the slide overhangs the frame on that gun just as yours does. On my personal K9 though, the fit is flush. That's an outstanding price for a premium pistol. Enjoy.

Can you push the slide further in the forward direction to make it even with the frame? If not, a new recoil spring may not solve your problem. Is the barrel hood flush with the breechface? If it is, then the barrel is fitted. I'd send that picture to Kahr and see what they say. Kahr just might want to make some adjustments.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat

I have very little slide play in my CM45 and CW40. Maybe a millimeter or two. The rear of the slide on the CW40 sticks out slightly past the frame a millimeter maybe you can feel it easier than see it. Both had a round in the chamber.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

I had a K40 that would do that, but only sometimes. I never figured it out, but if I took it down and reassembled it would usually end up fitting flush again. May have been the way the guide rod fit against the barrel cam? I sold the K40 so I cant check it for you.

All steel guns need a little play in the slide so that when they get hot they don't bind. Something may be preventing the slide from going fully forward. That I'd have checked out. Send your photos to the Kahr Service Department. They'll know for sure.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

I own two K40's and have played with quite a few more. I have never seen that much of a overhang on a K40. If anything, they have a propensity to sit a little forward.

If that is the natural way your gun is sitting at rest, not in battery, it needs to be looked at. I would call Kahr customer service on Tuesday and maybe send them your picture after explaining what it looks like.
    USN ~ Retired

I honestly thought mine was about 1/4 to 1/3 of what I see in your photo, roughly, with a round in the chamber. But when I took a photo, it looks pretty darn flush. Is that photo with an empty chamber? Did you try to push it forward with your hand, with some considerable push or drop the slide shut? I guess the proper way to ask that question is--are you very confident it's really fully in battery?

As for play, I personally would be very happy with a somewhat 'sloppy' K40, given it's meant to carry and work when you need it. Tight-fitting, no rattle, no wobble is, to me, for target, display and feeling good about the $3,000 custom you bought. It might not be too much of a surprise that the Wilson Combats and the Ed Browns and so on are the ones I've seen jam when folks try to actually shoot them at IDPA matches. Pretty embarassing at IDPA, not much fun when in 'combat'. I couldn't care less if it shoots a 1" at 50 yds if it doesn't go 'bang' at 5 filled with pocket fuzz and dog hair.

I'd wonder a lot but not worry too much about the slide not going forward, if it shoots. But I'm just thinking it's the barrel that's maybe out of spec--even if it has no impact on function at all. I don't know.

Both the slide itself and the slide-in retaining block thingie (name escapes me) are replacement parts.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    NRA Patron Member
    US Air Force 1975-1996

I wouldn't worry about it. My K40 Covert has some slide play at the front and it doesn't affect practical accuracy or function. As a matter of fact, it's one of the more accurate pistols I've owned. If it was a $3000 1911 it would bother me, but my K40 Covert is essentially a very classy belly gun. I don't think about the slide play.

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    Just a note: I don't think Kahr did itself any favors labeling some of their guns "premium". It's been my experience that they are all of the same quality...just different.

With that said I think it might be a good idea to install a new recoil spring and to make sure it is installed correctly. That might help the slide overhang a bit. What's it look like at the muzzle? Anything sticking out too far?

P.S. How is the recoil? Too harsh? That might be an indicator that it needs a new spring too. Also, it should be a little stiff to rack. If it's pretty easy, that might be telling you that it's time to change.

P.S.S. I too can detect a little slide wobble in my steel Kahrs.
    Having owned a K9, CW9, CW45 and now a CM9..... After a few hundred rounds they'll ask shoot the same. Buy the dirtiest steel cased ammo you can find and shoot as much of it as you can afford before carrying it.