CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cpap

Default Cpap

Just out of curiosity, is anyone on this forum currently using a cpap or bipap machine?????????????????????

My mother in law does. My wife thinks I should but I refuse to strap my face to one!
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

I used a V-pap for near 4 years for complex apnea. It was a constant struggle, but I hung tough.
    The obstructive apnea was not so much a problem as the central was.
    The sad part was I had to take a sleeping pill too. I eventually learned that I could sleep better without the mask...as long as I was sedated. So I stopped. It took me nearly a year to wean myself off the sleeping pill- Ambien. The last near year- I sleep only with 1.5 mg of melatonin.
    I was very disappointed with the medical expertise of the Sleep Center here in Mobile.

If you have obstructive apnea- the cpap and mask may actually help you. If you are overweight- then you know the weight needs to go.
    It was a long nightmare for me.....and unfortunately after spending lots of money, and years fighting the mask and machine....I finally figured out that self treatment was better for me.

MIL recently began use of Cpap. She adapted quickly to it. It helps her sleep better and she does not snore any more. Uses the max amount of water in an 8 hour night
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

I have used one for over 10 years since I broke my neck. It is a pain at times, but does help.
    "The Deacon" Zoot Shooter #84
    Yup, I'm the guy at Surplus Rifle

Sleep apnea is a somewhat complex thing................I have mostly central with some obstructive and have been on "the machine" since 2005. There are many types of apnea, and some people think that snoring is one of them. Snoring is only harmful, if you stop breathing or if you are lowering your oxygen input. My wife got tired of the constant snoring, and breathing issues, so off I went. Best thing that ever could have happened. Get good restful sleep EVERY night, no more snoring, and the wife gets sleep also. I would suggest, in a friendly manor, that if you suspect that you have a form of sleep apnea, that you get a sleep study done. They can usually tell within a few hours, if you have issues. I say this, because, if you are depriving yourself of oxygen, it affects all of your organs. A close friend of mine has it........I know the signs, and have been nudging him, along with his wife, for years, to go get a sleep study done. He just had a major heart attack, survived, and his surgeons told him that his sleep patterns indeed had a part in his attack. Having to put a mask on every night, is a daunting affair. It took me a good three months, getting rid of a nose mask, and going to a full mask, to start to get used to it. Now, it is second nature. In some cases, losing some weight can help. Mine started before I gained weight. Most people with apnea, do not realize what a good night's sleep is, until they use a machine. It was one of the toughest things I've had to do, along with quitting smoking. I'm glad I took the step, because it feels so much better to awake refreshed, instead of sluggish, and understand how important good sleep really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgy Baby View Post
    I used a V-pap for near 4 years for complex apnea. It was a constant struggle, but I hung tough.
    The obstructive apnea was not so much a problem as the central was.
    The sad part was I had to take a sleeping pill too. I eventually learned that I could sleep better without the mask...as long as I was sedated. So I stopped. It took me nearly a year to wean myself off the sleeping pill- Ambien. The last near year- I sleep only with 1.5 mg of melatonin.
    I was very disappointed with the medical expertise of the Sleep Center here in Mobile.

If you have obstructive apnea- the cpap and mask may actually help you. If you are overweight- then you know the weight needs to go.
    It was a long nightmare for me.....and unfortunately after spending lots of money, and years fighting the mask and machine....I finally figured out that self treatment was better for me.
    I am glad to hear that you got off of Ambien..........................one of the worst drugs on the planet. Sorry that you had a bad experience with your sleep center. Although apnea is a legitimate issue, some in the medical profession like to take advantage of people and their insurance, if you know what I mean. Like charging $25.00 for a machine filter, when I can get mine online for $1.50 for 3 of them. I went to the sleep center which was originally put together by doctor's who were connected to Reggie White's problems with sleep apnea, which he supposedly died from. I say supposedly, because it's sometimes difficult to blame a disease for someone's death, when they are snorting massive amounts of chemicals up their nose at the same time that they weigh 300 lbs., and they wonder why they are having sleep and breathing issues. My issues are a relaxation of the back of the throat(obstructive apnea) which make you snore and constantly wake you up. I also stop breathing 30 times an hour, in which your brain tells you to wake up every time, thus, the lousy sleep. My case is considered mild to moderate. There are many people who are much worse off. There was a guy there during my initial study, who stopped breathing about every 15 seconds..........talk about a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is anyone on this forum currently using a cpap or bipap machine?????????????????????

BB:

Yes, for years. Probably since 2000 or so. I've been through three machines so far. My overnight study was cut short because I had stopped breathing 40+ times an hour. I was started on a CPAP but that did not work for me- it kept me blown up like a balloon because of the high pressures needed. I had to be put on a bi-PAP and it was a Godsend to me. Much better sleep, waking up actually feeling rested. Highly recommended if you are not getting good sleep.

-steve
    -NRA Life Member

-It isn’t Islamophobia when they really ARE trying to kill you!

-Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property.
    Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    -Thomas Paine

I put on the headgear(nasal pillow system), hit the on button, almost instantly asleep. sleep all night and even dream. better than waking up every 2 minutes. my machine has the humidifier and I like that.
    a friend of mine has one and he uses a full face mask, going for that Darth Vader thing. what ever works. good luck.
    (just for grins get the make and model number and shop it online, then compare that to the price the in network medical equipment provider is going to bill your insurance company for. amazing how that works. almost makes you think that somebody is getting some kind of kickback from the equipment provider?)

I've been using one for 5 years now. I wish I been using it for 15 when my wife first made the suggestion!