Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My new to me MK9 w/Pics!

Default same problem

JPDOPES,
    I just got my wood grips last Thursday and had the exact same problem with the fit and fixed it the same way you did. Only took about 10 minutes and a sharp chisel, but I was VERY careful. Shouldn't have had to do it though and was pretty disappointed.

Here's mine. What a pistol! I also agree that these pistols should come std with the stainless guide rod. That was the first thing I replaced.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wouldn't be disappointed. They look good.

For what it is worth, the only "custom" grips I have seen that fit perfectly are 1911 grips as the demand is very high...and the caveat here is custom grips from craftsmen who have made a lot prior to "your order". One-off or small order grips sometimes need a little finessing as the weapons they fit might not have the most consistent quality control.

Just my opinion though.

I suspect those grips were for an early version and your hanging them on a newer version and need to be modified.
    Many of the aftermarket grips of course are made on machines and machine checkered. I laugh so hard it hurts when I see add checkering 5 bucks. It takes me 8 hours or more to hand checker a pistol handle. 5 bucks don't seem like enough, perhaps what I'm worth but not lucrative.
    Some makers lean towards tight perfect fit and little clearance between wood and controls etc. I tend to lean this direction. Others leave a much looser fit and they are alot more forgiving fit wise.
    As quickduc points out 1911's have been around 100 years and everybody that makes handles make 1911 grips. They are pretty easy to fit and most of the ones Ive made I built on my 1942 Colt, yet they still fit shiney brand new Wilson's, Kimbers, and even a Randall for a new friend in Arkansas.
    Good things don't need changing.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

A Randall? WOW! Those were produced when I lived and cavorted (ran amuck) in the San Fernando Valley of CA. I never had enough to buy one at that time and wish I had as they are worth A LOT now. The "service models" aren't as collectible but the Le Mays and early 111 and 112 models are very collectible. Most current owners will NEVER part with them. You should also see the price for their magazines...WOW!!!

I actually contacted this guy in Arkansas cause he was looking to sell his mirror image true left handed Randall. I have a few lefty officers and one was talking about a 1911. Of course as you say it was alot of money but fair priced compared to other (the few I could find). Anyhow I made a backwards set of 1911 grips sight unseen and sent them to him. Renewed his love for it apparently as he still has it and we've been pals ever since.

I'll see if I can find some pics. Pic or it didnt happen ya know?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."