Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen

Thread: PM9 ammo compatibility?

Default PM9 ammo compatibility?

Ordered a new PM9 which I will be picking up in a few weeks.

Can you fellow PM9 owners/shooters give me some insight on the compatibility of Federal HST 124 and 147 grain ammo with this gun. Also, has anyone tried the Federal 105 grain Guard Dog in this gun. Unfortunately, I live in NJ and can't utilize HP while in state.

I intend doing my 200 round "break-in" with Federal American Eagle 124 grain FMJ.

No experience with the Federal ammo but I live in NY and semi-frequently find myself passing through NJ. Hence my carry ammo change to Hornady Critical Defense. Apparantly, NJSP has determine it to not be HP round.

Functions flawlessly in both my PM9 and PM40.

Look at the new Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator bullet. Its not a hp, but has similar effect.
    Underwood loads it in a 115 gr- its about $30/20 http://www.underwoodammo.com/9mm-lug...tor-box-of-20/

Federal HST 9mm in 124 grain function flawlessly in my PM9. The recoil is noticeably more with HST than with Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr.

I haven't had problems with anything in my pm9. I just put 100 Hornady HAP 115 reloads through it today as I wanted to become familiar with it again for summer carry, no problems whatsoever. Only issue with my PM9 is charging it, don't ride the slide or use the slide lock and she is fine. I'm not as good with it as my G19, but it's a SD handgun for summer carry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never had a single problem shooting HST rounds through my PM9. I've shot 124 and 147 grain in both standard pressure and +P. I prefer the +P rounds under the theory that the extra powder/pressure in those rounds offsets the velocity lost in the short barrel of a pocket pistol like the PM9. Gives the bullet enough velocity to reliably expand.

Sure wish I could find more of the 147 grain +P, but it seems to have largely disappeared. Unless you're willing to pay about double what it should cost on a Gunbroker auction. I'll just stick to the 124 +P...screw those price gouging b*stards.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I love my COUNTRY...but I don't trust my GOVERNMENT.

hmm, I am not qualified to weigh in. having said that I am diving in:
    I have a total of 150 rounds thru my new PM9. I load myself. in 9mm I load 147gn tek coated lead.
    with the polygonal barrel issue in mind I loaded some 250 124plated. and I bought a box of Winchester white box which is 115 gn.
    finally I bought a box of Winchester 147gn Ranger T hollow points.
    I shot it all. only difference is that 115 groups tighter.
    FWIW
    enjoy the new gun, I do.

Max

I shot WWB, forever old black talons, s&b, you name it and it had not failed in over 400 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk