Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM45 Slide - now frame and mag defects

Default PM45 Slide - now frame and mag defects

More defects - see post # 11

I opened up my NIB PM45 to get started on the break in. Found it was in the same condition as my P380 which was the last Kahr I purchased in 2013 - rough edges around interior of the frame, dirty, a few metal shavings showing in the slide. But, much to my surprise I found this break-burr in the thin metal area between the barrel and recoil spring areas.

I'm sure I can stone the edge and remove the burr. At this moment I cannot think of any future issues this could cause. Anyone have any thoughts about future issues from this ?

I'm thinking of calling Kahr and getting someone's attention and sending an e-mail with the photo but I'm not interested to in sending them my pistol just to have them stone the area and send it back.

Last edited by targetshooter; 03-22-2015 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by targetshooter View Post
    I opened up my NIB PM45 to get started on the break in. Found it was in the same condition as my P380 which was the last Kahr I purchased in 2013 - rough edges around interior of the frame, dirty, a few metal shavings showing in the slide. But, much to my surprise I found this break-burr in the thin metal area between the barrel and recoil spring areas.

I'm sure I can stone the edge and remove the burr. At this moment I cannot think of any future issues this could cause. Anyone have any thoughts about future issues from this ?

I'm thinking of calling Kahr and getting someone's attention and sending an e-mail with the photo but I'm not interested to in sending them my pistol just to have them stone the area and send it back.

Absolutely, I've done it myself:
    http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...5876#post15876
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

In the early PM45 days that was quite common. Sometimes they didn't machine in that little radius at all and the gun just basically machined it's own while shooting.

I'd do just what you suggested and just stone that little radius. I thought most of the new one had them cut in and all finished.

Don't hurt a thing and it would be fine if you did nothing, but will look better and be more pleasing if you clean it up some.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Beat me by less than a minute. Follow Gregs program there and you'll be absolutely golden in no time.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks for the info fellows - I would never have figured out how to find the post re "notch". So tomorrow I'll head into the garage - shop area and work on the notch.

FYI - I measured the lip as best I could and it increases in thickness as you approach the top of the slide - 0.065" at the thickest point I can reach - less than 0.010 at the edge. I checked my PM9 and was amazed at the thickness of the space between the barrel and recoil spring areas. Also, the slide on my PM9 is a work of art compared to the slide on this PM45.

Now The Rant - I really have to say I am disappointed with the condition of this unit. This is one of the "premium" units sold in our area for $650 not a low end price point C model. I spent 40 years in corporate engineering and I would have rejected any part that looked like this slide to be used in the machinery we built for our production lines. I guess Kahr has the "get it out the door and fix it if it comes back attitude".

OK - got that out.

I think they experienced some growing pains in the past and were just moving too much stuff out.

I thought this sort of thing was all over and most everything was coming out much better, always be a few that slip through the cracks.

I know the 380's were at one time just problematic across the board and those seem to be good to go for the most part.

I don't do 380 so I never gave it much thought.

I'm wondering if that is new old stock you got there, don't see them like that in quite awhile, don't hear about it anymore.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

The unit came in what I think is the new black box and included three magazines. There's no indication of when it was tested or shipped - no shell casing for KY.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Yup, that's a very new box, nice box, never seen one of the new ones.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

There was a time when the notch was present because of the interconnection of the two machined areas - the recoil spring area, and the _angled_ area that allows the barrel to tip. At some point, they started cleaning those up, not sure if by hand or with an extra machine cut. And... I'm guessing a change was made so they don't have to clean it up any more, dunno. Or, one just didnt get done.

At any rate, Mr. Dremel wearing a 3/8 inch sanding drum will clean that up in seconds. Just be sure to wash the slide well, to eliminate any shavings and/or sanding/grinding leftovers.

I've looked closely at the barrel and recoil spring assembly and don't see any marks or scrapes, but the unit is new so no wear would be present
    High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.