Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: CM40 troubles

Default CM40 troubles

I've had a flawless K40 as my back-up for 15 years. However, its too heavy/bulky for carry for me. I picked up a CM40. Out of the box the slide was locked solid and struggled to get it to unseat. I went ahead and took it to the range and shot 230 rounds. It was a miserable range trip! The slide would not strip rounds off the magazine. Sometimes the slide would dig a gouge into the brass half way across while its still in the magazine. I spent most of the day beating the slide forward because the rounds would not seat. I loaded with traditional and sling shot method of loading. The slide would not hold open after last shot, nor could I get it locked manually. I used my K40 mags (6 and 7 rounds) also and had problems with all the mags. The trigger bar makes a squeaky sound when the trigger is pulled. Sounds like a squirt gun, even with oil. I was shooting factory gold dots 165 gr (snappy) and XTP and some plated both 180 grains.

The gun was returned today stating the trigger bar was polished and the slide stop spring was replaced, shot 29 good rounds. Got it in the mail today, I just shipped it monday and back friday. Kudos on the turn around. I was inspecting it after I took the wrap off and found the frame is cracked across the right front smooth corner. About where my right middle finger would be, starting from the Kahr K on the frame. I really wanted this gun to work and wanted to stay with a small 40, but I just don't have a good feeling of reliability with this gun. Needing to vent and I thank this one getting sold after another factory trip.

I've only been on this forum for a short time, but it really seems to be hit and miss with these guns. I have a CM40 also. I've only been to the range once, and it was flawless. Anxious to get to the range again, real soon. Hope you get that thing figured out. When putting the slide back on, be very careful with that slide lock spring. If you just slap it together, you will probably miss it and have all kinds of problem.

Hang in there. Kahr will make it right. There's nothing sweeter that a CM40 except for the PM9. If the frame is cracked Kahr will replace it. What you are seeing might just be a parting line from the mold that the polymer was poured into. A drop of oil on the trigger return spring may eliminate the squeak.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380