Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new Kahr T9...I like it a lot

The T9 has to go down as one of the all time most aesthetically pleasing firearms.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, CZ75

While I've pretty much abandoned making Kahr grips (too frustrating) I'd love to make a set of T grips, mostly cause I'd have to get one in hand to make a set.
    I've only seen and held (for a long time) one T9 but it was amazing. Felt so gosh durn nice in my hand I really didn't want to put it back down. The seller at the show was sympathetic but it still didn't come home with me.

I still dream of a T45 but a T 9 would be just fine until that happens.

Actually your close enough we could maybe some day meet up half way and borrow it for a week but then again you'd be out of a gun too. I quit giving out loaners awhile back too, liabilities and lawyers ya know?

Plan B would be to order some smooth replacement handles from Kahr and come up with a plan and work them over to be one of a kind just for you.......
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I would be more than willing to meet you as close as need be for that to happen, and since I have my CW9 now I am not completely without a carry piece. Kahr is sending me a new set of grips (without having to send mine in first now) but I would still love to have your touch, especially after checking out your Emporium again. I'd be very interested in possibly using a different type or color of wood, I would love to have a black set of smooth, thinned down grips with a bobbed tail. Please feel free to message me about cost and such, for a custom item like this, the time frame is of little concern to me.

Those pistols would wear Hogue rubber grips if they were available
    If ever there were a need for 3D printing, this would be it. Someone able to duplicate the original grip dimensions, input it into the machine, load some soft-ish plastic into the hopper, and push the GO button. Maybe I need one of those "Fund me now" campaigns or whatever they're called.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, CZ75

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    If ever there were a need for 3D printing, this would be it. Someone able to duplicate the original grip dimensions, input it into the machine, load some soft-ish plastic into the hopper, and push the GO button. Maybe I need one of those "Fund me now" campaigns or whatever they're called.
    The K9 is next on my list. MK grips are in the works currently. The biggest issue with Kahr grips from a cost standpoint is how thick they are with the back strap as part of the grip. Most of the material ends up being whittled away. The MK grips that are coming are G10. It is expensive and abrasive from a manufacturing point of view, but tough when done.

The printed prototypes I have been making I have taken shooting. The material is not all that strong, but seems to work fine for me when shooting. But, I don't think you wanted printed grips. They don't look that great and either have poor definition (0.006 inch layers) or are quite expensive for better resolution.

On the other hand, there are some urethanes that machine well and are not as expensive as G10 nor as abrasive. They are resistant to all the solvents and such too. Urethanes can also be used in molds and can use soft (aluminum) molds which are not as expensive to make. Another trait of urethane is it can be made in a range of hardness-es. In other words, it can have a "soft" feel like you seen in automobile interior parts (or kind of like the Hogue grips). A third option is Micarta, in linen or with paper layers. It is strong, no matter how that sounds. The layers can also have different colors that show when machined in the texture and contours.

I want to get some MK grips out the door, but can model anything at this point. Don't give up. I can model any of them. The K9 and T9 grips are even thicker than the standard MK grips and take quite a bit more material.

It is great to see these posts though so I can see what folks might like.

I definitely want customized grips for mine. I messaged VZ and Hogue about G-10s but I doubt that will lead anywhere. At the very least I would be interested in customizing a set of the Hogues if I can get a set that fits the gun from the factory.

I have talked briefly with a local company that does 3D printing and they said they would be happy to scan the existing grips and make some new ones for me. If I were to go that route, I would want a rubberized type material rather than G10 or some other hard surface. I have also talked to another place that does Cerakote and if I can get Bawanna to do me up some nice black wood grip panels, I will be having the T9 coated in some shade of black to match. I've always likes black pistols with dark grips and have yet to see any pics of a T9 with a non-factory finish so it would be even more unique.

The new grips do fit my gun better than the original ones. I won't call the fit ideal but it's better and it works. I'd still like some Hogue rubber wrap-arounds on it though, or at least some G-10 grips. The new ones seem to be a little thicker than the original grips, especially at the very top portions. The color is aslo lighter on the new set. As long as this T9 continues to be as reliable and accurate as it was the first time I shot it, it will likely be one of my favorite 9mm pistols. At the very least, I would like to explore getting these grips customized a bit, maybe with some stippling on the smooth sections.

It was disappointing to discover that the Ed Brown 1911 slim gip screws would not work on the T9 as they did with my K9. Those look a lot better to me. The Hogue wood grips are too thick. I might shorten some standerd 1911 screws, which are too long.

That is one beautiful collection! I'm a big fan of Benchmade knives as well, lost one in the woods a couple years ago and still need to replace it. Their factory outlet is about 20 minutes from my house, and tomorrow is my day off...it may be the perfect time to upgrade from the CRKT Ignitor I've been carrying since losing the Benchmade. Luckily it's perfectly legal to carry an auto opener here in Oregon, I'm thinking of CLA 4300 or the AFO 9051.
    “More evil gets done in the name of righteousness than any other way.” - Glen Cook
    "Every person is the center of their own universe" - My dad
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage

Photoman,

You might have some good candidates there for a thinnerization. It would provide a good opportunity to fix that front strap miss-fit too. http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?26731-Thinner

I'm thinking of getting me some of them thin-headed grip screws like your K9. They look great and it's easy to shorten 'em up if necessary.
    ​O|||||||O