Kahr Shop   Xssights   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miltary's new sidearm? Detonics MTX/STX

Default Miltary's new sidearm? Detonics MTX/STX

The military has been looking for a new pistol. Amd it seems the Detonics modular pistol, the MTX/STX seems to have the "right stuff". Production capacity seems to be a problem, but I'm sure something can be worked out if it is adopted. Parts can be swapped out to go from single action to a striker fired design that I assume is DAO.
    It seems to me like a pretty sweet pistol. 45acp, 14 round mag (where legal). With the 14 round mag, the grip is as thin as a normal 1911 with wooden grip panels.
    The grip angle is a little bit off from the 1911.

http://bearingarms.com/army-wants-ne...way-can-now/2/
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

Time will tell if it passes muster.

Looks rugged.....................not bad looking, except for that trigger.....................

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    Looks rugged.....................not bad looking, except for that trigger.....................
    What's wrong with that trigger?? I like mine...
    A couple Colts, a couple Brownings, a Makarov, a Sig, a couple Rugers, a couple Kahrs, a couple Smith & Wessons, a Walther, and a couple Berettas .....Oh, and some long guns...

Why are they hell bent on sticking with the .45acp? 1 well placed round is not better than the other. But 20 is better than 14! Everyone has an opinion on this I know. And If the army wanted a $1500 handgun I'm sure HK could be able to come up with something that would be difficult to match!

Most soldiers I've talked to who were in the sand box recently who were issued Beretta's didn't bother to carry them. Left them in their quarters. We have 3 here at the department.

No faith in them. Remember the have to listen to NATO or Geneva or somebody so they have to shoot FMJ, wouldn't want to hurt anybody.

I'm on board with giving our guys every tool they want to help them survive and win, if winning is actually what we're trying to achieve but I sometimes question the need for a pistol at all. Then again if I was there and I wish I was provided we're there to win again, I'd want a pistol, so I guess my question is moot.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Miltary's new sidearm?
    I seriously doubt it. The Army is awash with Berettas and will be for a while to come. They recently bought 160,000 more. It has a long history of reliability and is an easy gun to shoot accurately.

The standard round for the standard sidearm is 9mm not .45. That isn't going to change.

In addition to the Beretta, the military, all branches, now purchase a wide variety of brands of sidearm to include Glock, HK, Sig and a few Springfields. I suspect this practice will continue into the foreseeable future of using the Beretta for most Army needs and the other branches piecemealing their needs with whatever suits the environment. Generally speaking, the only units that use .45 on any regular basis are the various elite units, (too many to list).
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Never happen. Firm is just too small to be able to play in the big pool of government contracts.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Quote Originally Posted by diablo53 View Post
    Why are they hell bent on sticking with the .45acp? 1 well placed round is not better than the other. But 20 is better than 14! Everyone has an opinion on this I know. And If the army wanted a $1500 handgun I'm sure HK could be able to come up with something that would be difficult to match!
    Since the military can't take advantage of Hollow Point technology, they tend to prefer the larger hole and more FPE a .45 gives, as opposed to the 9mm. Some special units carry .45's now.
    I imagine if the military seriously wanted the Detonics platform, then subcontractors could be lined up to produce the pistols or parts of it to be assembled by gunsmiths. Perhaps get some of these factories sitting around idle to start producing something again. I wouldn't mind having one, if I had a spare $1500 lying around.
    Is 20 all that much better than 14? The .45 was adopted because the .38 wasn't stopping the fanatical muslim Filipinos in the Spanish American war. We could be facing the same type of enemy with the Islamic fanatics in the Mideast or here at home for that matter. So if one .45 will stop an enemy from continuing to fight, when he might take two or three 9mm hits, then yes, it's better. Your 20 to 14 drops to 12-6 to 14. Few pistol shots are going to be optimally placed, so size of the hole and FPE can make quite a bit of difference in battle. In most cases, when you are down to your sidearm, things are screwed up, and you want each shot to hit as hard and do as much damage as possible.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

Intriguing design, but what's the big deal about converting from striker fired to SA?

I'd rather spend the money on an HK Mark 23.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101