Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Magnum Research new

Thread: New member and a positive p380 report

Thumbs up New member and a positive p380 report

Hey all,
    New member to Kahrtalk and recent new owner of a Kahr P380. I was really hesitant to make this purchase due to the early reports of problems with this firearm. I was back and forth...it suited my size desire and quality desire...but may not be reliable in the beginning. However, when I went to the local gun store and held it in my grubby hands, the quality and fitment really sold me. I figured I could wade through any problems and get it working in the end.

On my pickup day, I brought it home all excited, unpacked everything and broke the gun down for a thorough cleaning and re-lube. It was a bit nasty inside, which was to be expected. I quickly cleaned her up with Tetra action blast (synthetic safe) and some butch's bore shine for the bore. I re-lubed everything according to the lube diagram, using mostly grease and little gun oil. I cycled the firearm several times and of course did the function checks. Looking good! The only real issue I encountered was one of the mags wouldn't lock the slide back when empty. After a quick inspection, I noticed the follower wasn't going all the way to the top of the mag. It was tight near the top of its travel. After using a screw driver to open the mag up a tad, near the feed lips, the problem was resolved. The follower could now go to the top of its travel and the slide would now lock open. This was about a 2 minute fix...not too bad.

First day at the range, I brought along 300 rounds of Blazer Brass ammo for break-in, an assortment of tools (you know, just in case!), and a cleaning kit. I loaded up my first two mags and put my target out at 7 yards. First twelve rounds...perfect functioning, REALLY perfect accuracy. This thing is a shooter! I'm so used to little guns that beat you up! Instead, I experienced a very linear recoil, albeit a tad sharper than a full size....but very manageable. Oh, and did I mention it's accurate? This thing was shooting great groups!! Next 12 settled in with even better groups and still functioning perfectly. This continued ...mag after mag!! I cleaned after the first 100 rounds....just a quick barrel cleaning. Not one misfire, ftf, ft-anything. Literally better out of the box than my Glock 17 was!

So, now I'm 350 rounds deep on this bad boy. I've not yet had one failure of any type. This gun is ...well.....flawless to this point! I couldn't be more pleased. Keep in mind, I have strong wrists and smallish hands...lol. This is of real benefit with this firearm!! However, with function like that, I'm guessing anyone could shoot this thing! I just wanted to take the time to do a positive review as there aren't many that take the time, when everything is working like a champ. Everyone with a bad experience takes the time!! It's just human nature I guess.
    Thanks, and glad to be here
    GageC

GageC, I'm really sorry to hear that you got one of the very rare good ones. They take the fun of tinkering away. It can get real boring shooting tight groups over and over again without a problem. I speak from first hand experience as my P380 is exactly the same. Well, we'll just have to learn to live with our misfortune. (Stated with tongue firmly implanted in cheek.)
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Ha haahaha!! So true....There are p380's out there that function perfectly!? After reading so much on the older ones...I thought this would be the exception rather than the rule....turns out to be not so. Glad you had a good one too

Glad yours is doing well from the getgo. Now you're gonna get the Kahrbug infection for another.... maybe a 9mm or something with a bigger hole. lol

Welcome!
    Last edited by Armybrat; 04-01-2015 at 06:27 PM.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Kinda already got the bug for the all steel variants!! I see a K9 in my future..... Thank you for the welcome!

oh yes the kahr 380's todayt are extremely reliable, but now so a few years ago. Many here had issues. Mine wasone of the first 125 made and I wish I had not owned it that early to. It burned me for having anutter one as I lved everything abou the gun as far as size, weight and accuracy but it was a problem child. My adopted son Muggsy was a problem child, but I peddled him, and I hatedf to peddle this 380 for it was just not reliable and I dodn't wantt5o trade in a POS gun so I gave it to my sone to keep , and luckily his home was robbed one nite and low and behold the PM380 was one of the guns stolen...I would like to by one for my wife but I know she would not be able to hand rack the gun or clear a jam, as my P380 was so small and so stout of recoil springs that even I had troubledoing it properly...I can say honestly that I shot my PM380 better than my PMJ9 and that always pissed me off to..

Pay no attention to the little man behind the curtain. Old, Jocko just thinks that he's the Wizzard of Oz. He's really harmless.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380