Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your Kahr CM9 have a crappy trigger?

Default Does your Kahr CM9 have a crappy trigger?

The design of the Kahr trigger action is actually a really good piece of engineering.

That being said, I believe I've discovered something that sets the CM and PM series of pistols apart that Kahr isn't telling because it makes a pretty big difference.

They tout the CM pistol as a less refined version of the PM series, and that it is. They imply, however, most of the differences are merely outward appearance. That's not so.

If you look at Kahr's comparison sheet here, you will note something. The PM series has a machined slide stop, the CM series has an "metal-injection-molded" one:

http://www.kahr.com/PDF/CM9093.pdf

What does "metal-injection-molded" mean? It means it's quicker, easier, and cheaper to make. It doesn't require milling or machine-work, but a bunch can be "poured" out into a mold all in one shot.

Big deal, right? Wrong! One thing that happens when using injection molds for metal is there are always warts! Warts are the little nubs where the part had to be taken out of the mold from where the steel was poured.

I found out just how this affects the trigger of the CM9 because I've spent the last 4 days intimately sanding and buffing all the internals of my CM9 to get the trigger even close to what my PM40 was (which was a fine, fine shooting pistol).

What did I find inside the striker trigger action? WARTS!

There's good news and bad news with this. The good news is that Kahr, even with their injection molded parts, uses a very, very hard steel. I've seen newer Glock slides scrape from simple use, the metal they're using is so soft.

The Kahr, not so. But that brings us to the bad news, these hard warts will hinder your trigger action bigtime!

I know because the last few days as I've buffed every other part outside of the striker action to no avail.

It was only when I opened up the striker action and found not one, but two "injection-mold" warts where these important trigger parts were not properly sanded down and smoothed out. Additionally, it appears Kahr buffs what can be seen and reached easily on the CM series and leaves all the hard to reach parts unbuffed and rough.

After much sanding and buffing, the trigger is almost perfect. I will give it another go tomorrow sometime and when I get my Galloway lower weight trigger springs this pistol will likely shoot as beautiful as my PM40 did.

The moral of the story is, if you want a PM9 trigger, you have to pay for a PM9. If you want to do the work yourself, and I'm not so sure it's worth it, you can buy the CM9 and do the sanding and buffing yourself.

Don't let anyone tell you the PM and CM series are essentially the same. The CM9 comes complete with warts and all.

I'm a little confused. Are you saying roughness from gates on the slide stop were causing your trigger action to be rough? I don't see how that could be. Or, are you saying that there are other parts that are made with the MIM process that are the issue?

Yes, there are parts inside the striker trigger action that are injection molded and have warts that hinder the action.

Could you include some pictures, I'm curious to see what your talking about.

I've sanded the two major warts down, but you can still kind of see them. At first, they were so high your fingernail would get caught on them. Now, they're flat, though you can still see their outline. I will take some pictures in a bit.

The first one is faint because I sanded and buffed it down so much, but you can still see the circular impression left from the original wart. It's in the very center of the part. The second one needs no explanation, it was a big one! It looks like it could use some more buffing, actually, though my fingernail no longer catches on it.

Thanks for bring such potential problems to my attention. So far my CM9 has been pretty good but I am planning on purchasing additional Kahr pistols in the future and its always good to know what to look for concerning potential problems.
    Hope it shoots better for you.

I used Freezone on my warts and now they are gone. Good for corns and calluses, too. There were no sprue marks on my CM9 and the trigger is just fine. We're not dealing with a match grade target pistol here. The CM9 is a down and dirty self-defense gun. Does anyone know if there is a cream, ointment or lotion for the anal retentive?
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Thors hammer strikes again. Take your meds.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

How about some Preparation H mouthwash for a runny mouth?
    cm9 and lovin it.