Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new

Thread: Winchester Defend 9mm and 380 Comparitive Tests

Default Winchester Defend 9mm and 380 Comparitive Tests

Y'all might enjoy this since I did the testing with a CM9 and CT380. That 9mm load ain't too shabby for a standard pressure load labeled as "less recoil".

Owner of and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Well done, Ljutic. The 9mm seemed to fair well, but the 380 not so much. No projectile performs perfectly under all conditions. I think that I'll stay with ball ammo for the 380. I prefer good penetration over expansion in mouse guns.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    Well done, Ljutic. The 9mm seemed to fair well, but the 380 not so much. No projectile performs perfectly under all conditions. I think that I'll stay with ball ammo for the 380. I prefer good penetration over expansion in mouse guns.
    + 1 for .380 ball ammo. I've seen a couple of ballistic tests and that has been the conclusion.
    ​O|||||||O

It's strange that Winchester can't do 380 to save their lives. Every 380 they make expands like crazy and penetrates poorly. CT380 and G42 do great with 380 Gold Dots. Heavy clothing tests make the 12" minimum. P380 is Remington Leadless 95 grain flat point ball.
    Owner of and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Thanks! Really enjoy and get a lot out of watching ammo test videos such as yours.
    "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good test-
    Looked real good to me- I think the 380 performed well. (its not 9mm)
    Even when it hit the bone- still penetrated 9".
    So, the 380 choked on the heavy denim.....but its running a lot slower than the 9mm. It still penetrated deeper....and tumbled.

Where I live....I may see the equivalent of 2 layers of denim on a very cold day.......but 9 months out of 12 its usually a tee shirt. Remington UMC 88gr jhp has worked well in my simple jug tests, and I've been getting it at Walmart for $32/100......although its been scarce lately.

Edit: Have you tried the Winchester PDX1?.......bet it'll do better than the "Train and Defend".

The new Winchester 9mm jammed in two of my pistols. The Walther PPS has never choked until I tried that stuff. The S&W Shield didn't like it either.
    Draw me not without provocation, sheath me not without honor.

Try R2 RIP 380 and 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Higgy Baby View Post
    Edit: Have you tried the Winchester PDX1?.......bet it'll do better than the "Train and Defend".
    They both feature the same PDX1 bullet, however the Train & defend is formulated differently to perform better out of a 3" barrel, which most common compact 9mm's have.

P.s. To some of the other comments regarding using .380 ball ammo in a carry pistol. I personally believe that would be a mistake, .380 ball ammo is highly susceptible to over penetration & leaves a very small wound channel. Over penetration is a liability as you will be held responsible if a 3rd party get's injured. That is the reason why the Border Patrol & DHS here on the South Texas Border switched from 180 gr. .40 to 135 gr HST's.

And that my friends leaves us to the great 9mm Vs .380 debate... Seems like everyone is searching for that magic .380 bullet, and if penetration & proper expansion is your goal then ya'll might as well get a sub compact 9mm because a .380 IMHO just barely cuts it... I sold my .380's...

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Quote Originally Posted by charleswatsonsmith View Post
    Try R2 RIP 380 and 9mm
    Try solid ball in the 380 and the RIP in the 9mm.... RIP ammo isn't even worth tearing the seal off the box.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets