CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Xssights

Thread: PM Mag Release

Default PM Mag Release

Hi. All. I have a PM 9 and a CW9, The PM 9 mag is constantly being released no matter which holster i use.
    The CW 9 does not have that problem using the same holsters. PM9 has about 500 rds thru it and Cw9 is fairly new.
    The mag release seems weak and i believe a weak spring is the problem.
    Has anybody changed out the spring or have any ideas what else could be causing this.
    Thanks Les

Had it always had an issue with dropping mags or is it a new thing. With multiple mags or just one?

I'd make sure that the release engages the slot in the mag properly and completely. It may not be engaging the slot properly and would slip out without much resistance.

If you feel decent spring pressure on the release and it wants to come back to the left positively I'd say the spring is ok.

It doesn't really take much.

Come on back after you take a look see and we'll help sort it out.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by ljc View Post
    Hi. All. I have a PM 9 and a CW9, The PM 9 mag is constantly being released no matter which holster i use.
    The CW 9 does not have that problem using the same holsters. PM9 has about 500 rds thru it and Cw9 is fairly new.
    The mag release seems weak and i believe a weak spring is the problem.
    Has anybody changed out the spring or have any ideas what else could be causing this.
    Thanks Les

I seriously doubt that on the spring, as it is a rod type sprig, not sure how they can loose weakness, unless bent by installation. If the mag release button when the magazine is in the gun, that release button MUST be flush with the grip, as it wold he with no magazine in it. If it is not flush, then I would email kahr, attn. Jay and state ur issue and askk for a new release button snd spring rod. takes 5 minutes or less to install...
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Ditto on what Jocko said. Definitely get Kahr involved. They will take care of you!

I had a defective magazine catch on a second new P380. The bearing surface of the catch was weak and rolled over a bit allowing the mags to fall out. A picture of the catch in an email to Kahr Customer Service got me a new catch quickly and solved that problem.

It's easy to swap out.

From the stick by Greg on CW45 and other fixes:

Disclaimer: I imagine there are quite a few (most?) CW45s out there that do not have this issue. I further believe that the modified latch and a new/stronger latch spring would fix/prevent the issue. Regardless of this (and for my own peace of mind) I'm going to run the modified magazines in my gun.

*Latch spring installation:
    The spring is a press fit into the polymer, the magazine latch/catch (when installed) prevents it from working out of place.
    To remove the latch, use some type of tool (I made one from a coat hanger) to push the latch spring over and out of its slot in the latch. (Alternately: push the latch in and hold the spring over while pulling the latch back; lift/pry/ the end of the spring out when the latch clears it).
    With the spring end out, the latch can be pushed out of the frame.
    To remove the spring: just pull it straight up until it comes free.
    Compare the new spring with the old, some new ones have been reported oversize and may need fitting.
    Looking down into the mag well, you will see a wedge shaped cavity in the front strap (just below the magazine catch). There is a hole into the polymer at the bottom (small end) of the wedge. Hold the spring with needle nose pliers or a hemostat, then insert the spring into that hole; use enough pressure to get it started. Release the spring, it should lay pretty flat and parallel to the front strap; put a pin punch on the visible end of the spring and push it completely into place. Look through the magazine catch round hole, the spring end should be about quarter height up in the hole (see photo below).
    To install the catch, start the catch slightly, pry and hold the spring away from the front strap, push the latch into position, release the spring and slide the end of it into the cutout in the magazine catch/latch body.
    Done.

Harbor Freight makes a cheap set of orange-handled picks for a couple of bucks on sale or free sometimes that works great for the mag catch spring.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Thanks to everyone for their help.
    My mag catch looks like the picture Wyntrout posted.
    I will e-mail Jay and see what happens.
    Thanks Wyntrout for posting the instructions.
    Thanks again Les
    Last edited by ljc; 04-17-2015 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Typo

Kind of suspected it was a fit issue and not a spring. Hopefully they'll send you a new one and get ya back on the track.

Might be able to do a little judicious cleaning up and make the old one fit properly too until the new one arrives.

I've given up the practice of offering loaner guns, lawyers and all don't cha know?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."