Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why not a CM22?

After some thought , I do not believe any one would buy a tiny Kahr .22. For self defense, .22 rimfire is not as reliable as a centerfire. The tip-up barrel Beretta 21A Bobcat has it covered for someone without good hand strength that wants a small .22 defensive arm. For double action, a .22 Magnum appeals more to those that want low recoil. To mimic the smooth "double action" feel of the Kahr, a quality .22 revolver would need to be purchased along with polishing the trigger mechanism. Adding to the overall cost, .22 ammo here is still $6.00/50. There are now .22 pistols that make better trail guns than a small Kahr. I would think most would decide to use their CM on the trail, practice more with 9mm ammo, or practice with a .38/Spl. D/A. This is written a person who is a little bit bitter. I purchased a Ruger .22 SP101 4" barrel just as the can't find/buy .22 ammo fiasco started happening and am still shooting mostly 9mm. Maybe one day ammo will be closer to $3.00/50. Does not seem that long ago I would go to Charlie's Bait Shop and buy Winchester Wildcats for 0.85 cents /box.

Why not just a 22lr slide assembly "conversion kit? " it would be cheaper than an entire new gun. Other companies produce similar kits for Glock & 1911s. Even the PM size frames could fit a 10 round magazine. I'd buy one!

I would purchase an CM22

I also would buy a CM22. I have fairly well gotten used to the Kahr trigger through 2 P380's and my gem of a PM9. But I tried the idea of a LCR22, and while the trigger is also long.....its at least TWICE as heavy as the Kahr. Not a very good comparison. (The .38 version is much lighter). I have the Advantage Arms slide for my G26, and it works well with a striker fired mechanism. Don't know why Kahr couldn't come out with one for their pistols, if they so chose. I think It'd sell well. I'd sure like the ability to get trigger time on my Kahrs at 22LR prices. (Around here it's still available at 6-10 cents a round).

The Kahr design does not lend it self well to low power cartridges.

Upon entering battery, the striker is partially tensioned. That tension opposes the recoil spring tension. As the trigger is pulled, the striker is pulled back, and the striker spring tension is at its greatest opposition to the recoil spring tension. The problem is, you need a fairly light recoil spring for a .22 to operate, and the opposing tensions would bull the slide out of battery with a light spring.

However, I can see only a part of the slide moving, the rest being stationary, and that moving part being very light and requiring fairly strong spring tension. If that were developed, it might actually work as a conversion for some of the Kahr pistols.

The Advantage arms slide is made of a light weight alloy. If Kahr use that type of material, rather than the steel on the rest, I think it could work.

The best way to become proficient shooting a Kahr pistol, is to shoot a Kahr pistol.

The next best way to become proficient shooting a Kahr pistol, is to dry fire a Kahr pistol.

Five (5) minutes of dry practice for one month will improve your shooting skills by leaps and bounds. It cost absolutely nothing, yet few have the discipline to do it.

It's much more fun to buy another gun--in the name of improving our shooting skill, of course.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

Hell, I dry fire my CM9 all the time. Occasionally, I'll forget to unload it first, but that's another story. It adds drama to an otherwise boring pastime. I love shooting .22s, particularly at my neighbors cat.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Dry firing is fine, but don't just mindlessly do it. The objective is to smoothly pull the trigger till it breaks, without moving the muzzle. You can try the coin on top of the slide or the front sight. I use a laserlyte bore laser. If you're moving the gun when the trigger breaks, it paints a blob on the wall. If you do it right, it's just a dot, and the dot is where the sights align.

I have an Advantage Arms slide coming for my 1911. For some reason I have trouble with what's arguably the easiest trigger to shoot accurately, so I hope this will help and be fun and cheap to shoot.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

If they weren't so pricey, a 3-4" S&W 317 Kit Gun .22 would be my choice. 2nd would be a 6" 617 to match my other S&W 6xx series of revolvers.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.