Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best solvent for polymer frames?

Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    My only Kahr is all stainless steel.
    But I've got six Heckler & Koch polymer guns too.
    I use Ballistol on all my handguns.
    It has a distinctive pungent smell.
    But it's good stuff.

^^^^Same here, I use it on all mine.
    NRA Benefactor

Hoppe's Elite

Hoppe's Elite_.jpg

Cleans very quickly and I can use it in the house without..., well, you know.
    Bad decisions make good stories...

any poly gun--- buy an Oxo small items basket for the dishwasher. field strip the gun and place parts in basket, run thru the usual cycle using a good, non-spotting soap. lube the parts with favorite gun lubes and your ready to go. first saw this technique in a video recommended on the Glock forum. for 1911's, wait for a rainy day and make a pot of coffee, have fun, labor of old school love.

Quote Originally Posted by marcinstl View Post
    any poly gun--- buy an Oxo small items basket for the dishwasher. field strip the gun and place parts in basket, run thru the usual cycle using a good, non-spotting soap. lube the parts with favorite gun lubes and your ready to go. first saw this technique in a video recommended on the Glock forum. for 1911's, wait for a rainy day and make a pot of coffee, have fun, labor of old school love.
    Dishwasher????? Not everyone is as high class....

Quote Originally Posted by marcinstl View Post
    They laughed at me when I told them that I threw my Kahr in the dish washer, Marc. Just so you know your not alone.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Dishwaher works well ! Was the trick for my Ruger Old Army, and currently when I shoot black powder in my Vaquero.

Er... just take the grips off first!

I'm a cheapskate. For the frame I use a mixture of Ed's Red (hold the acetone) for the cleaning and scrubbing then a good shot of non-chlorinated brake cleaner to wash that stinky stuff off. Then it's straight over to the air compressor to quickly blow dry the brake cleaner off. After that, a shot of ptfe dry lube around the trigger/bar/cam area.
    Graduate of the Woodrow F. Call School of Chivalry.
    Now, get off my lawn.

I just b low the piss outy of everything with non cholorinated brake cleaner. iT drys fast,tht I don't need my air compressor to dry out anything. Mosty of these cleaners will INDEED CLEAN so be sure and lubricate the necessary area, . Kahrs lube chart is a dandy imo, jUST SAYIN..

WORKS ON ANY GUN BUT AS cjb EVEN STATED TAKE YOUR GRIPS OFF IF THEY ARE WOOD, JUST ERROR ON THE SIDE OF CAQUTION. We do have a fella here on this forum who is a master at efinishinbg grips but he is color blind. I have the finest looking (to him) Heretts grips on my odel 60 stainless that he refinished in the purdiest PINK u ever seen. I said he was color blind, didbn't I..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

when I was just a mechanic (long before I became an internet firearms expert) , I just used carb/choke cleaner, then some brakleen, dab on some ATF or Marvel Mystery Oil(love the graphics on the can) and maybe some lithium grease. on real sloppy stuff like the old mossberg pump, some permatex moly anti seize grease (the silver stuff) would make it smooth and glitch free. back in the 70's when I was shooting some kind of spanish(?) made replica Remington 1858 in .36 cal., I'd paste up the end of the cylinder with bacon grease. blackpowder and bacon is a wonderful smell.
    Attached Images Attached Images