Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CW380 fails to load so often

Default CW380 fails to load so often

This is a new gun. Did all the preps suggested by kahr talk. Fired 150 round today and got a lot of failures.
    1. Failed to load at least 30 to 40 times. I had to push the slide forward to make it work.
    2. Failed to load the first round twice (using the slide release.) I can see that the tips of the bullets got dented.
    Should I keep shooting to break it in? Hate to waste more ammo.

My PM9 seems fully broken in. Shot 100 rounds without a single issue.

A new pistol will do that maybe two or three times per box of ammo until it's broken in, but if you really had 30-40 issues in 150 rounds it sounds to me like it needs to go back to Kahr.

Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    A new pistol will do that maybe two or three times per box of ammo until it's broken in, but if you really had 30-40 issues in 150 rounds it sounds to me like it needs to go back to Kahr.
    yeah, at the beginning I was trying to record each failure, but after a while I just gave it up. I asked a guy next to me to try my gun. He failed two out of six rounds. the worst case is it failed to load first round when using slide release. Something doesn't seem right.

This sounds like much more than "normal" break in issues. You should send it back as it's not likely that it will fix itself.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Is your guide rod seated in the barrel and frame properly? If so, yeah send it back. PMC ought go through a CW easily.

The guide rod should not stick out like that. Your recoil spring may be in backwards, too. The open coil end should be to the front. The closed end should be to the rear to grip the rod.

See the Kahr video for proper assembly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=G2cZgVg_SwA

available at Kahr.com, too:

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CW380.asp

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

The guide rod should be flush with the slide when the slide is in full battery. You reassembled the gun incorrectly. I'm surprised that you could get the gun to feed and fire at all. I'll be even more surprised to find that you didn't damage the gun by firing it when it was improperly reassembled.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by topgun1953 View Post
    Is your guide rod seated in the barrel and frame properly? If so, yeah send it back. PMC ought go through a CW easily.
    Yes, it was.

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    The guide rod should not stick out like that. Your recoil spring may be in backwards, too. The open coil end should be to the front. The closed end should be to the rear to grip the rod.

See the Kahr video for proper assembly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=G2cZgVg_SwA

available at Kahr.com, too:

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CW380.asp

Wynn
    Thanks Wynn. The springs were assembled correctly. I checked the parts carefully when I disassembled it last night, all looked good.

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    The guide rod should be flush with the slide when the slide is in full battery. You reassembled the gun incorrectly. I'm surprised that you could get the gun to feed and fire at all. I'll be even more surprised to find that you didn't damage the gun by firing it when it was improperly reassembled.
    hi muggsy, the pictures were taken after it failed loading just to show that the slide doesn't go forward fully.