Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CW380 fails to load so often

I don't see any issue with the guide rod in the OP's photo. He's already stated that
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmlover View Post
    hi muggsy, the pictures were taken after it failed loading just to show that the slide doesn't go forward fully.
    In that condition, the guide rod just appears to be sticking out too far. Here's my P380 with the slide forward and then with the slide in a position similar to the OP's:

It's a delicate balancing act between the recoil spring and the striker spring in this small of a striker fired pistol.
    I'd like to suggest to the OP that if he hasn't already, disassemble the slide and see if the striker is moving freely with the striker spring out. If it's the least bit sluggish, give everything a good cleaning and try again. Any added friction to the striker's travel makes it that much more difficult for the recoil spring to overcome the striker spring and return the slide to battery.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I just checked if the rear of the recoil guide rod could catch on the front of the barrel hood, but mine won't. Is this how your recoil spring assembly is installed?

Oh... and you do have BOTH springs installed?

Wynn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Another possibility is that the rear of the guide rod is stopping before the bar on the little ledge about 1/4" in front of the bar backstop. My rod won't stick there... does catch a tiny bit before seating fully against the polymer bar in front of the trigger spring.

This could be your problem... too much of a ledge or catch there and not allowing the guide rod to seat against the bar. Maybe you could just smooth that edge a tiny bit to allow the guide rod to go to the rear fully.

Wynn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

When my P380 turned into a jamb-o-matic overnight it turned out that the frame had failed. If you're sure that the gun was reassembled correctly, I wouldn't waste any more ammo on it. Contact Kahr service, explain the situation, request an RA number and ask them to send you a prepaid mailing label via e-mail. If they hedge on the prepaid mailing label. Send it back through your LGS. It will save you a lot of expense.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Default CW380 fails to load so often

checked it again and didn't find anything unusual except the sharp edge on the barrel where it touches the extractor. there are few dents. also the extractor is not flush with the slide. is it normal for cw380? the extractor on my pm9 is flush with the slide. could this cause the rim of the cartridge going inside the extractor (the hook?). just guessing.

The extractor could be causing the feeding problem. Mine sits flush with the slide with a round in the chamber and slightly inward when the gun is empty. The edge of the barrel shroud on my gun is razor sharp with no dings. A lot of the guys have rounded and smoothed that edge. Since I haven't experienced any problems in that area I left mine alone. I don't like to fix what ain't broken. I still think that your best bet is to send the gun back to Kahr. You paid good money for it and it should work properly. Let it be their problem, not yours. It 's under warranty.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Call Kahr and ask for a shipping label,do not send the gun back out of pocket(these guns should not be leaving the factory this way IMHO!)my CW380 was doing the same thing and they sent me a label,fixed it and had it back to me in under 2 weeks.
    They replaced the springs and reworked the extractor on mine and it has been great since.

Quote Originally Posted by timboy View Post
    Call Kahr and ask for a shipping label,do not send the gun back out of pocket(these guns should not be leaving the factory this way IMHO!)my CW380 was doing the same thing and they sent me a label,fixed it and had it back to me in under 2 weeks.
    They replaced the springs and reworked the extractor on mine and it has been great since.
    I was thinking about giving it another try before sending back to kahr. looks like this is not my problem now. I wish I could just pay Kahr extra 100$ to skip this breaking-in business so that I don't have to worry about its reliability.
    Thanks for your response.

Kahr had my CW380 for a week. this is what Kahr did to her.

Inspected firearm. Reworked extractor and extractor port. Replaced extractor rear pin. New mag catch and recoil springs. Lubed and test fired 31 rounds.

Hope I can finish up the breaking in this weekend.

Hopefully its all sorted out now,I know mine has been great since they fixed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmlover View Post
    Kahr had my CW380 for a week. this is what Kahr did to her.

Inspected firearm. Reworked extractor and extractor port. Replaced extractor rear pin. New mag catch and recoil springs. Lubed and test fired 31 rounds.

Hope I can finish up the breaking in this weekend.