Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: P380 Jammed/stuck slide - help solve my screwup

Glad you got it fixed. Isn't that great when an old post solves a new problem?

Dave

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post

Dave

Yes, yes it is! It was so aggravating, but so easy to replicate, and so easy to not understand what the slide was catching on. Once I determined that the slide was catching on the cocking cam, the next step was trying to force it to rotate, since any pressure on that cam allows the trigger to still be pulled, and feel the same without the cam rotating.

This is pretty easy to replicate, without recreating the bonehead scenario that I did. If you install your slide correctly, but don't install the slide stop yet, the slide will move forward about 3/8" and then stop. If you try to slide the slide forward and remove the slide from the frame, the slide will catch on the cocking cam. Moving he slide back 1/8" will allow the cocking cam to rotate after pulling the trigger, which will allow the slide to clear the cam. HOWEVER, pretend that after you initially push the slide forward so that it catches on the cocking cam, that you cannot move the slide backwards at all. Not even a little bit. Then, pull the trigger. The slide still will not come off, because the trigger did not rotate the cam. Move the slide back a tad, and wallah!, the trigger can move the cam and the slide can slide off.

In the locked up scenario I created after having a brain fart, the small paper clip can be inserted underneath the back plate and can be used to grab the cam and force it to rotate. It doesn't take very much pressure.

I hope that all makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post

Dave

Yes, yes it is! It was so aggravating, but so easy to replicate, and so easy to not understand what the slide was catching on. Once I determined that the slide was catching on the cocking cam, the next step was trying to force it to rotate, since any pressure on that cam allows the trigger to still be pulled, and feel the same without the cam rotating.

This is pretty easy to replicate, without recreating the bonehead scenario that I did. If you install your slide correctly, but don't install the slide stop yet, the slide will move forward about 3/8" and then stop. If you try to slide the slide forward and remove the slide from the frame, the slide will catch on the cocking cam. Moving the slide back 1/8" will allow the cocking cam to rotate after pulling the trigger, which will allow the slide to clear the cam. HOWEVER, pretend that after you initially push the slide forward so that it catches on the cocking cam, that you cannot move the slide backwards at all. Not even a little bit. Then, pull the trigger. The slide still will not come off, because the trigger did not rotate the cam. Move the slide back a tad, and wallah!, the trigger can move the cam and the slide can slide off.

In the locked up scenario I created after having a brain fart, the small paper clip can be inserted underneath the back plate and can be used to grab the cam and force it to rotate. It doesn't take very much pressure.

I hope that all makes sense.

LOL !!!! Its good to see something positive come from ressurecting a thread