Crimsontrace   Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun

Thread: Coated bullets in 44mag?

Default Coated bullets in 44mag?

Has anyone used the hi-tek or powder coated bullets in their desert eagle (44mag to be exact)? If so, what were your results...I use these for 9 & 45 but didn't know if they would hold up in the DE44.

Also, if you used them, any load data would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I use some of Donnie Miculek's Bayou Bullets, Hi Tek coated, 240 gr swc's in my Ruger Super Red Hawk and Rossi R92 lever gun. They seem to settle in at 1570 fps in the 20" lever gun with 18.5 gr of A2400 (or about the same load +/- a couple tenths of a grain with AA#9). Unfortunately, "bench accuracy" just wasn't there for me in either of my .44's, and driving them faster didn't seem to improve accuracy. My better accuracy for that general velocity has been with standard lubed plain based bullets that a give a tiny bit of extra tumble lube with Lee Liquid Alox. I do appreciate the better attributes of the Bayou Bullets and have loaded them in .38 spl, .357 mag, .44 mag, 9mm and .45 acp. My favorites are the 138 gr button nosed wadcutters in the .38 spl and .357 mag.

jd

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

I guess I was just off topic since I referred to a Ruger .44 mag revolver and Hi-Tek bullets ????

jd

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!