Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kahrs Unreliable?

Default Kahrs Unreliable?

I've always heard good things about Kahrs except in the case of the CM380. As I mentioned in another post, I haven't purchased one yet because of the Kahr warranty, but I always wanted one. Anyway, I'm a huge fan of all metal pistols, so when I seen that mint condition used MK9s and K9s could be had in my price range, I decided that I would buy one... One thing struck me as odd though. That was I was seeing $700-$800 ($1,000+ MSRP) guns selling for half price or less, but there didn't seem like anyone else was jumping to grab them up. Also, compared to other firearms, there didn't seem to be as much online reviews and talk pertaining to them.

That lead me asking "Why isn't the Kahr MK9 and P9 popular?" To my surprize, the consensus was that Kahrs are unreliable. My question is, before I send $500 on a used firearm without a warranty, does their gripes have any merit?

1. Kahrs have a history of being hit or miss.
    2. Magazines are flawed; rounds pop out; follower cracks; causes other failures while shooting.
    3. Frame and slide cracks

Have all of these issues been addressed?

I like my CM40, but I don't see me buying another Kahr down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    I like my CM40, but I don't see me buying another Kahr down the road.
    Why is that if you like your CM40?

Quote Originally Posted by 187911 View Post
    ...That lead me asking "Why isn't the Kahr MK9 and P9 popular?" ...
    Who'd you ask?
    ​O|||||||O

Reading this forum! they are hit and miss. For the price of these guns I really don't understand why Kahr doesn't pay more attention to quality control. Seems like they spit out as many bad ones as good ones. I bought a factory blem model for $294 new. I got a good one, it's super reliable. Some I have seen on here have terrible machining. The mag follower has a design issue IMO. The metal tab that does the work is embedded in plastic. Just doesn't seem very smart to me, plastic always loses. I don't shoot much, I can't afford it. The little I have shot this thing, I really like it. I got a laser ammo thingy, and see that the gun shoots low. I thought it was me, but it's not. I'm anxious to get to the range and see if my compensation works with live ammo.

... One thing struck me as odd though. That was I was seeing $700-$800 ($1,000+ MSRP) guns selling for half price or less...
    I typically buy used firearms for about half the original street price. So I don't find that alarming at all.
    ​O|||||||O

Reading this forum! they are hit and miss. For the price of these guns I really don't understand why Kahr doesn't pay more attention to quality control. Seems like they spit out as many bad ones as good ones. I bought a factory blem model for $294 new. I got a good one, it's super reliable. Some I have seen on here have terrible machining. The mag follower has a design issue IMO. The metal tab that does the work is embedded in plastic. Just doesn't seem very smart to me, plastic always loses. I don't shoot much, I can't afford it. The little I have shot this thing, I really like it. I got a laser ammo thingy, and see that the gun shoots low. I thought it was me, but it's not. I'm anxious to get to the range and see if my compensation works with live ammo.
    You can never get an accurate representation of HOW MANY bad guns there are compared to the good ones by reading forums. I'm surprised that isn't more obvious.

P.S. are you sure your laser thingy is adjusted correctly?

Thanks!
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    I typically buy used firearms for about half the original street price. So I don't find that alarming at all.
    Me too, but what I found alarming was the fact that no one else seemed all that interested in what seemed like a great deal to me.

.... For the price of these guns I really don't understand why Kahr doesn't pay more attention to quality control.... I bought a factory blem model for $294 new. ...
    ????
    ​O|||||||O

Me too, but what I found alarming was the fact that no one else seemed all that interested in what seemed like a great deal to me.
    Well if there was always someone else interested, we'd have to pay more right???

But to actually answer your question: I think small and light (read plastic) has replaced small and steel for now. It's a great chance to buy fantastic guns at reasonable prices. Enjoy!
    ​O|||||||O